Looking for a good performance Laptop.

Ekaansh

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015
I will be in college this year, no more desktops for me :( , looking for a laptop under $ 1000 budget. Can be used for light gaming(FIFA mostly), video editing and programming.

Extra Info:

1. Screen size: 12.5 in to 13.5 in

2. Storage: I would like SSD if possible and storage around 128 GB or 256 GB (I don't keep to much data in my Devices, external storage helps :D )

3. Light weight: Should weight like Lenovo x230 not more than that

4. Country: India. Can wait for 2 to 6 months.

5. I hate windows 8 OS other than that everything works :) , I think we can change it so doesn't matter.

Thanks for replying :)

Solution
Generally speaking, if you want to multi-task you should get a laptop with at 8GB of RAM. 4GB is doable, but more RAM means you can have more programs opened at once and less disk caching since the limited RAM mean the laptop will need to read and write a data to / from the SSD to / from the RAM. None of the laptops will allow you to upgrade the RAM because it is soldered in so if you buy one of those laptops with only 4GB of RAM you will be stuck with it.

Spec wise, the MacBooks are a bit better since both have a Core i5 CPU vs. the Core i3 in the Dell. The MacBook Air has a 4th generation Core i5 with an Intel HD 5000 graphics core which is a little less powerful than the Intel HD 5500 in the Dell XPS 13, it also has a 256GB SSD. The...
There is big problem with this, you will hate a small screen for programming and video editing, trust me, I do that for my course and I am so glad that I have a 15 inch laptop. This will also open up a lot more laptops that can actually do this as 12 - 13 inch laptops are designed for portability rather than power and you will regret not having it. But if you insist on getting a laptop this size, try the asus ux302ln. It has a gt 840m which should be able to handle what you said easily.

Ekaansh

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015

Thanks for your answer and i am really sorry replying late (was out), I liked the laptop a lot but from what I can find about it. Its out of my range for now.

Ekaansh

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015

Hey, sorry for replying late. Lenovo X250 is out of my range right now. Dell XPS 13 lowest model is in my range tho, I would like to ask about its multi tasking. GPU isn't a problem not going more than fifa series. Dell XPS 13 lowest model is around $ 850, any cons in this one? and what do think about these two apple macbook (1st - http://www.flipkart.com/apple-macbook-pro-mf839hn-a-ultrabook-core-i5-8gb-128gb-ssd-mac-os-x-yosemite/p/itme6h4eevcshyvs?pid=COME6H4EHXFNHRYJ&ref=L%3A-5299845663461913055&srno=p_13&query=apple+laptop&otracker=from-search) and ( 2nd - http://www.flipkart.com/apple-md761hn-b-macbook-air-ci5-4gb-256gb-flash-mac-os-x-mavericks/p/itmdwdybt3e3ptdw?pid=COMDWDY8YMVHZVWR&ref=L%3A-5299845663461913055&srno=p_9&query=apple+laptop&otracker=from-search)

Generally speaking, if you want to multi-task you should get a laptop with at 8GB of RAM. 4GB is doable, but more RAM means you can have more programs opened at once and less disk caching since the limited RAM mean the laptop will need to read and write a data to / from the SSD to / from the RAM. None of the laptops will allow you to upgrade the RAM because it is soldered in so if you buy one of those laptops with only 4GB of RAM you will be stuck with it.

Spec wise, the MacBooks are a bit better since both have a Core i5 CPU vs. the Core i3 in the Dell. The MacBook Air has a 4th generation Core i5 with an Intel HD 5000 graphics core which is a little less powerful than the Intel HD 5500 in the Dell XPS 13, it also has a 256GB SSD. The MacBook Pro has a 5th gen Core i5 with the Intel HD 6100 graphics core which is a bit faster than the Intel HD 5500 and it has 8GB of RAM.

If you are going to be running Windows programs on the Mac then you will need to buy Windows OS for it. That will also eat up some storage as well; Windows 8 will use about 22GB of storage by itself. Mac OS will also use up storage, but I don't know how much that will be. So... for the MacBook Pro you are looking at less available storage.

The choice will be probably between the Dell XPS 13 and the MacBook Air. The MacBook Air would be the better choice since it has a 256GB SSD vs. 128GB SSD in the Dell which means you will have plenty of space even after you install Windows so that you can dual boot the laptop. But that means you will need to purchase Windows OS which increases the price.

Solution