Looking for a great laptop <=$1100

Coltin

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I'm looking for a mobile development monster. This beast must run Eclipse with no issue. Eclipse man.

Jokes aside I'm looking for a laptop I can comfortably develop on and not worry that I have a ton of stuff running (Eclipse, Visual Studio, etc). I also need to be able to play 720p videos without any fuss.

This is not a desktop replacement, I have a powerful rig to play Battlefield 3 :)

Budget: Around ~$1100 CAD
Processor: 2960XM! (I WISH). i7 2630QM or above (I've had my eye on the 2760QM but I can't find it in a real laptop..)
Weight: The lighter the better, <=5lbs?
Battery: Prefered 3 hours+, but not too important. Planes have power outlets these days :D
Games: Starcraft 2 on lowest with no lag.
Brands: Anything but Sony.
Optical Drive: If it can play DVDs awesome, anything else is a plus.
Hard Drive: 300gb+ would be plenty.

If an AMD laptop is suitable that's excellent. I don't care either way, as long as it runs what I want.

Coltin

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I found a laptop I fell in love with, but I can't ship it to Canada. I also can't seem to find it on the Canadian site. Unlike newegg.com/newegg.ca you can't just exchange the .com and .ca for the same product.

http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d291729&ru=28908414

I ended up adding bluetooth and before taxes I got $919 (USD). Can anyone find someting similar? Relevent specs:

i7-2670QM
1GB Radeon HD 6770M
8GB DDR3 (2 Dimm)
1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive
9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
15.6" Full HD HP Anti-glare LED (1920 x 1080)
Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)

You'd be hard pressed to find something from AMD that would be close to that performance.

That should run Starcraft II on high and the battery should be good for near 8hrs of WiFi surfing or 6hrs of movie watching. Just make sure you're OK with the hump on the big battery. An upgrade on the HDD to7200rpm is probably worth the extra cost.

Have you talked to HP Canada about when that model is going to show up?

Coltin

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

I've emailed them but no response yet. I might call later today and see if I get a better answer.

I'm fine with the hump for increased battery life. I'll also consider the increase from 5400->7200rpm if I can actually get the laptop as well.

Thanks for the comments!