Looking for a gtx 1060 laptop?

rokyslash

Commendable
May 16, 2016
I have been looking to buy a gaming laptop from the past two months. I only found out now that nvidia gtx 1000 series laptops are much better than 900 series ones. I am new to gaming and want to buy my first ever gaming laptop. I need a laptop for sure, not a desktop for portability reasons. However for the most part I will use it in plugged mode, so battery life isn't a huge issue.

Coming to the main point, my budget is around $1500 and I want a 15-15.6 inch screen laptop only. And also the laptop that I will be taking will have a resolution not greater than FHD, so considering that, I think going with a gtx 1060 card is a better option as gtx 1070 or 1080 are only better than 1060 if I plan to play games at a higher resolution. So for FHD, gtx 1060 is more than enough(correct me if I am wrong, I am basing my priority over a 1060 laptop based on this fact/opinion). So which laptops do you suggest?

P.S. Is it worth spending money on gtx 1000 series laptops or should I buy a 900 series laptop (since it's my first gaming laptop)? Would the 900 series laptops' price drop seeing that pascal cards are out? If yes, is it even worth considering 900 series cards? As I read that with the advent of 1000 series cards, 900 series are about 2-3 generations old instead of being a generation away.

P.P.S. Also would there be any deals for such laptops considering ThanksGiving and black friday is only a few weeks away?

Thanks

Solution
The 1060 is great for 1080p and it will last for a few years before you need to upgrade. Personally I would keep the 1060 and spend the extra on better storage and ram as you only plan on playing at 1080. Also the heat and noise will be a lot less than the 1070. You will also get better battery life.
I would STRONGLY recommend getting a 10 series laptop at this point as there is a significant performance jump from the previous gen. Regarding whether 1060 would be enough for FHD gaming (ultra settings 60fps) that i'm afraid is not true in all the scenarios (witcher 3 for example) and i think it's going to have a hard time hitting 60 on the newer more demanding titles. Please check the following for the more details:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-Laptop-Benchmarks-and-Specs.169547.0.html

Bearing that in mind, I would highly recommend getting a 1070 laptop. this is the cheapest i could find, which is almost within your price range ($1551 including OS or $1483 without it)
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8153-clevo-p650rs.html?startcustomization=1

For more details on 1070, go here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-Laptop.169549.0.html

hope it helps

rokyslash

Commendable
May 16, 2016

The sager looks promising but I have never heard of them. How good are those laptops and do they have good warranty terms and tech support? It's just that it feels a bit shady seeing how inexpensive sager laptops are.

Thanks

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

Sager was the first company to offer gaming laptops, they were founded in 1985. I highly recommend them and have owned 2 units from sager no issues. The 1060 will play all games at 60 fps or more at ultra, and some mild titles at 4k, but thats really pushing it. im talking maybe mobas or stuff at 4k. the 1070 is really only for 4k gaming. And it costs a arm and a leg, the pascal gpus didnt really offer a significant jump from the 900 series because all nvidia did was up the clocks barely.its nothing new, we have seen it consistently in the past, this gen was supposed to transition to HBM, so my worry is that HBM will drop next gpu refresh and make all DDR5 cards significantly worse within like 3 months or so and basically nuke all the old units probably latter half of 2017.

rokyslash

Commendable
May 16, 2016

Oh so basically for a FHD laptop 1060 card is more than enough right? even for another 2 years?

P.S. Do you happen to know if there are any sager deals during thanksgiving or black friday season?

Thanks

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

for 1080p yes, the laptop will easily last 2 years. Sager does have deals during the holiday season i recommend buying from a sager reseller these guys are official dealers for sager, and the laptops are built by sager sent to the reseller who modifies them for the specs you asked for then sends it to you and you usually get better support and better deals.

https://lpc-digital.com/

Where i have bought sagers in the past

Also recommend avoiding USb Type C because its a dead port design, people didnt like it because it meant buying new devices, which sucks. So basically every manufacturer stopped making devices for it, but its still getting pushed because you know companies they invented a failure and want to make money off it.

rokyslash

Commendable
May 16, 2016

Oh thanks. By the way, how's the support for a sager laptop? Say if I have a problem with the laptop, how good are they with warranty etc? And one final question, is Sager a company? Say if I have trouble with my laptop, do I call Sager or do I call the dealer who sold the Sager laptop to me?

Thanks

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

Support is good, i had one issue, my battery wore out so i called sager got a new one. But whats nice about having reseller is you get the warranty from the reseller as well as sager so you could call both.Yes Sager is a company they are based in the Los Angeles Area if I recall right. LPC Digital Ships Out of Henderson Nevada.

Oliver_21

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

Firstly, How is it possible to need portability provived that you are mostly going to be pluggind your laptop?

Secondly, For $1500 you can actually get a 1070 instead, even though your target is 1080p keep in mind that laptop graphics cards are not replaceable AT ALL. As a matter of fact, a 1070 will last longer

Aside from that, the screen resolution is no longer a gaming experience limitation thanks to DSR

Any GTS or GTX card from 400 series or greater will be able to support DSR or supersampling. For example, you can render a game at 4K if your GPU allows it and display it on a 1080p display

You can learn more about DSR here:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

Thirdly, a 1060 laptop is $1200, a 1070 laptop is $1500, given the extra features that come with more powerful GPUs, I mean, GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 laptops include more stuff such as more storage I think it is totally worth it to spend the extra $300

Last but not least, sure it is worth it. 900 laptops have not come down in price enough, a GTX 1060 laptop is far faster than a GTX 980M laptop and close to a 980 laptop. I don't recommend a 900 series laptop for anyone who has a budget over $800 1050 laptops are coming soon so the 900 series get almost obsolete and yes, you definitelly should consider waiting for black friday due to the big investment

Hope to have solved your doubts

rokyslash

Commendable
May 16, 2016

I use my laptop plugged in for the most part, but I do have to travel everyday between college and home, so getting a desktop is not an option. And I don't understand the concept of DSR. Irrespective of whether I run my game on 4k and then project it back on 1080p laptop monitor, the visual perception on my part won't change right? I mean physically all I have are those 1080p resolution pixels right? And gtx 1060 laptop is only $1200? All I could find were at least $1400+.

Thanks

"I use my laptop plugged in for the most part, but I do have to travel everyday between college and home, so getting a desktop is not an option. And I don't understand the concept of DSR. Irrespective of whether I run my game on 4k and then project it back on 1080p laptop monitor, the visual perception on my part won't change right? I mean physically all I have are those 1080p resolution pixels right? And gtx 1060 laptop is only $1200? All I could find were at least $1400+.

Thanks
"

All the more reason to get a GTX 1070 laptop, don't you think ?:)
Anyway, here's one that's just under 1200 w/o OS and $1260 with it.
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8151-clevo-p650rp6.html?startcustomization=1

that one is again from Sager, though and if you're still not sure abt them, you can choose from the following options from MSI and ASUS (both under $1400)
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gp62mvr-leopard-pro-218.html?startcustomization=1
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-gl502vm-db71.html?startcustomization=1

regards

The 1060 is great for 1080p and it will last for a few years before you need to upgrade. Personally I would keep the 1060 and spend the extra on better storage and ram as you only plan on playing at 1080. Also the heat and noise will be a lot less than the 1070. You will also get better battery life.

Solution

Oliver_21

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

That's such a lie I don't know who makes you think so

Even though your monitor has 1920x1080 pixels THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE

Perhaps you haven't seen it but I have, I've run BF4 in a 1600x900 monitor upscaled to 140 or 145% and you DO notice that the game looks much sharper

Oliver_21

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

The SSD and RAM are upgradeable, the graphics card IS NOT

Due to this laptop is entirelly for gaming I don't see the point of getting more RAM and storage