Looking for a laptop for general use and moderate gaming

thefallan

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
My budget is around 1300 but can extend up to about 1800 if the laptop I need is more expensive if it is less that is great as well. I would like either a 15 or 17 inch, 13 feels too small to me for most games. I would like to have a 1080p IPS screen if possible, but I have been exploring maybe going to 4k which I understand is more expensive, but I do not really know how much better 4k is with most modern games than most IPS screens. I currently have a desktop which is about 6 years old, so it is getting outdated, I would not need the laptop to be a full desktop replacement and I would like to try to make the computer somewhat portable. More battery life is preferred but I am around outlets almost all day so battery life is by no means the most important issue. I usually play games like League, Overwatch, and a lot of single player games like Fallout and Skyrim which I like to play on max on my desktop but moderate to high graphics would be fine with the laptop. I would also be using this laptop for college and just general browsing around the house. I would like to have around 500gb of hard drive space, preferably an SSD or SSD/HDD combo. I would like the laptop to have a decent dedicated graphics cards preferably a Nvidia pascal card (1060/1070).

Laptops I have been considering currently:
ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6-inch
ASUS K501UW
Alienware 15 R3
Alienware 17
MSI GE72VR Apache Pro

I am having a hard time choosing between all of the different options. Brands I have been considering currently are Asus, Dell (Alienware), and MSI. I am not opposed to other brands and would love to hear if you have a better suggestion. I have not had much luck narrowing it down. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Solution
I don't mean to be obtuse but using a 1060 or 1070 card for 'moderate gaming' with the games you've mentioned is going to be massive overkill. And the laptops under consideration are all dedicated gaming rigs rather than laptops for 'general use'.

Your budget, $1,300 to $1,800, should get you any 1060-based laptop you'd want and possibly also a handful of 1070 machines. Just pick the machine that appeals most to you.

However, if you're a college student - and allowing for the types of games listed - you may be better off with an intrinsic multi-tasker like this 17.3" Lenovo Y700, found on newegg.com for $1,200:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834331910

You can select different versions online. It weighs 7.7 lbs...
I don't mean to be obtuse but using a 1060 or 1070 card for 'moderate gaming' with the games you've mentioned is going to be massive overkill. And the laptops under consideration are all dedicated gaming rigs rather than laptops for 'general use'.

Your budget, $1,300 to $1,800, should get you any 1060-based laptop you'd want and possibly also a handful of 1070 machines. Just pick the machine that appeals most to you.

However, if you're a college student - and allowing for the types of games listed - you may be better off with an intrinsic multi-tasker like this 17.3" Lenovo Y700, found on newegg.com for $1,200:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834331910

You can select different versions online. It weighs 7.7 lbs and battery life is tested at 4 hours. The 4GB dedicated 960M card should have no problems with your games.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Solution