Looking for a laptop for university

JaggerPT

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
Hi,
Im going to university next year and as such I need a very light and portable computer to get me through my computer engineering degree. Im here to ask for your suggestions for what would be the best option for me.
Below you will find the quetions you asked on the pinned thread answered.
Thank you,
JaggerPT
PS.: you dont need to simplify things whilst explaining, as I have a pretty solid knowledge of computer hardware. I'm just not into portable computers and as such not really know what is the best bang for the buck nor what might be overkill or underkill for any specific task.

1. What is your budget? | Around 800€.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? | 15.6'

3. What screen resolution do you want? | 1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? | Very Portable, I have a very good desktop already, this is for university.

5. How much battery life do you need? | 1 day

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? | No.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) | Programming mainly and any other thing that a degree in computer engineering makes me do.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? | Not Important as I will have my own external hard drive. I would apreciate if it was an SSD. Capacity doesnt really matter too much to me.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. | Wherever is cheaper in Europe.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? | Through my whole degree (5 years).

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? | Dont need any, as I have a Desktop with a DVD Writer and can convert any DVD into a Flashdrive.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. | I really like ASUS, as it insipres me confidence overall and most of my Desktop's parts are from them and have had a very smooth experience so far.I really hate Apple, needless to say why... :)

13. What country do you live in? | Portugal

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. | I need the computer to be VERY portable and light, as well as very fast performing the tasks I will throw at it (mainly programming and text editing: to keep my notebook at my computer basicly). If to do the tasks I need with definetive ease a bigger budget is required, don't hesitate to recommend it anyway. That budget is just a reference and is highly flexible.

You have 2 options.
Option 1: Buy a barebone laptop as I think this is the best as you can customise it to your liking. They are cheaper than branded laptops and are more upgradable.

Option 2: Buy a cheap laptop like the lenovo g series for note taking and use the desktop for doing the heavy stuff like programming. This means that if you need something more powerful then you can always upgrade the desktop as it has more power than a laptop would.