looking for a laptop with very good sound quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2014
Hi guys, I want a laptop just to watch movies, listen to music and surf internet and it has to have good audio (especially bass) when listening to songs and watching movies, I usually watch movies in 1080p quality, but it doesn't have to have a good graphics card..... The screen must be greater than or equal 15" and must have resolution of 1366x768 or higher....... The audio is the most important part......... Thanks in advance!

Solution
You cannot expect much sound quality in laptop speaker that only have tiny 2w speakers. It is pretty impossible to get good bass from speakers that are probably no larger than 1". My Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 has JBL speakers and I think they are pretty good... as far as laptop speakers goes, but there is no real bass (not a surprise). The mid range is flat, but better than other laptops I have used. The highs are pretty decent.

You might want to look into bluetooth speaks which should have better sound quality compared to laptop speakers. I don't use any so I cannot recommend any to you. But below is a link to a recent article about the 10 "best" bluetooth speakers which should at least point you in the right direction...
Is there such a thing as a laptop with "good audio (especially bass)"? The laptop in my sig is supposed to have good audio quality and a "subwoofer". It's okay, but I'm not that impressed. Not sure how much bass is possible with such small driver/enclosure sizes that are required in a laptop.

A12MO12

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I would just get whatever laptop you prefer and use a schiit stack. Schiit Modi + Magni. Both are $99 US each and one of the best DAC + AMP combo you can get at that price point. All you do is hook it up to some headphones and you are good to go.

http://schiit.com/

A12MO12

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

modi is a digital to anolg converter and the magni is a headphone amplifier. The modi (DAC) is essentially an external sound card. The magni can make headphones louder and control the volume. They are also fairly small units and stack on top of each other.

http://schiit.com/products

At their price point they make an excellent combo that is a fairly cheap way to upgrade your sound.

You cannot expect much sound quality in laptop speaker that only have tiny 2w speakers. It is pretty impossible to get good bass from speakers that are probably no larger than 1". My Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 has JBL speakers and I think they are pretty good... as far as laptop speakers goes, but there is no real bass (not a surprise). The mid range is flat, but better than other laptops I have used. The highs are pretty decent.

You might want to look into bluetooth speaks which should have better sound quality compared to laptop speakers. I don't use any so I cannot recommend any to you. But below is a link to a recent article about the 10 "best" bluetooth speakers which should at least point you in the right direction.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/audio/portable-audio/10-best-portable-speakers-1069079

Solution

The only bad thing about all of Tech Radar's choices is the fact that stereo separation is sacrificed for the sake of portability. A relatively inexpensive solution is these: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-T50W-Wireless-Bluethooth-Speakers/dp/B00M175AJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437268065&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+t50&pebp=1437268089316&perid=00GZQ05PZ5K4R69374YH

But only if the laptop were to be used mostly in one specific room, as they aren't battery powered. Just another possibility.

True enough. I had forgotten about the amount budgeted. My bad.

imnotdavid

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Perhaps the best speakers to ever exist in a laptop are in the Dell XPS L702x, which you can definitely get within your budget. Although I realize this post is late, it's worth mentioning for others who happen upon the threat.

Everything else I have ever tried pales in comparison to the L702x. And that includes on the Legion Y720 that I just bought. I was looking for a laptop with modern gaming capability that has speakers like the L702x. The Y720 even has JBL speakers like the L702x and I read reviews that the Y720 has "the best speakers ever in a laptop." Well I got the Y720 today and the speakers are night and day bad compared to the L702x. The subwoofer simply cannot pull the fullness that the one in the L702x can. The Y720 sounds hollow by comparison, even after a good hour of fiddling around with the Dolby Atmos equalizer that's included in the software. If this is "the best" that modern laptops have to offer, I'm kind of depressed. Would love to know if anyone is aware of a laptop that comes anywhere near the L702x but with a modern video card in it, either 9 or 10 series NVIDIA.

Reactions: FrancisG

I use a clevo custom made laptop, don't know the model but they have very good speakers and has 4 audio jacks so I assume it will be good for people that have high end headphones.

TheKLF99

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2014
I know this is a bit of an old post - but in case anyone else is looking for a laptop with decent audio - possibly the best speakers I've found on any laptop have to be my Compaq Presario v5000 series. It's quite an old laptop now (won't run Windows 10 and still has an IDE hard drive in it!) - but the Altec Lansing speakers in it are just phenomenal. It has two big grill speakers right on the front edge of the laptop which produce really good sound.

I've had other people listen to this laptop and they're all like wow the sound quality from that laptop is so good. It did cost me £700 when I bought it back in about 2003-2005 I think (it was one of the first generation AMD Turion 64 bit machines), I just wish now I could find a more modern laptop with just as good sound quality on it - it's still a good laptop and it's now running Puppy Linux and does Play Music pretty well for a 10+ year old laptop! I did look recently at the HP Elitebooks or the Probooks as I guess they're the ones that are more likely to have decent sound systems on them - but I was surprised that even them are pretty poor compared to the ones on this Compaq (Compaq are a HP brand).

Status
Not open for further replies.