Solved! Looking for a new audio system for my PC/TV/consoles

TYTSoldier

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I currently use a few year old Samsung soundbar. I have it connected to my PC via a green aux cable and my TV via optical. I have my PC hooked up to my 4k HDR TV via HDMI. I play PC games, console games, and watch TV and movies. Lately, my audio has been crackling a little when playing PC games so I'm wondering if I need something to replace the soundbar.

I could spend a grand and get a receiver and two speakers and a sub or I could get a less expensive soundbar such as the SB3621n-E8 or maybe Logitech speakers such as the Z906 or z623. Game music is pretty important to me, so I want something that works well with PC and console games. What would you guys recommend, and also do you think my soundbar needs to be replaced or does that just sound like a cable that has worn out?

Solution
If your PC audio is connected to the TV using HDMI and the TV is connected to the soundbar, why can't you just use the TV optical output instead of connecting the PC to the soundbar? Just set the audio out on the computer to HDMI, should work.
If your PC audio is connected to the TV using HDMI and the TV is connected to the soundbar, why can't you just use the TV optical output instead of connecting the PC to the soundbar? Just set the audio out on the computer to HDMI, should work.

Solution

TYTSoldier

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Thank you. I did find a speaker option on my PC that allowed me to use the soundbar without the cable I was using previously. I do notice that the bass from the subwoofer is significantly quieter at the same volume, though. Not sure if there's a way to fix that.

If you turn the volume down on the PC does the crackling go away?
If it does leave the PC volume at that level and then try turning the volume up on the soundbar. If the PC is set too high it would overload the analog input of the soundbar and cause the crackling. If you can't get it loud enough then you need a soundbar. powered speakers or AVR with speakers that have a higher maximum volume.
If the crackling isn't affected by turning the volume of the PC or soundbar down it's possible that it has become damaged over time when played too loud.
Doesn't the subwoofer have a level control? Turn it up if you want to use the optical output of the TV.