Looking for a new laptop -- Asus gl752vw or MSI GL72?

DuaneWhitney

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
I'm looking to replace my old ASUS NJ71q and would appreciate some advice.

I'm considering these two:

ASUS GL752VW
Screen Size: 17.3 inches
Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Processor: 2.6 GHz Core i7 6700HQ
RAM: 16 GB DDR4-SDRAM
Memory Speed: 2133 MHz
Hard Drive: 1024 GB
Graphics Coprocessor: NVIDIA GTX960M 2GB GDDR5

MSI GL72
Screen Size: 17.3 inches
Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 6700HQ
RAM : 8 GB DDR4 2133
Memory Speed: 2133 MHz
Hard Drive: 1000 GB
Graphics Coprocessor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB

They seem very similar, but I'm not sure about the difference in quality between these two brands, or if there are overheating or noise (fan) differences.

As background, I'm looking for the following characteristics:

1) 17.3" screen: I do a lot of software development (JAVA and Python), building economic models, and analysis of data. Some parts can be computationally intensive. The larger screen is good for having two windows open at a time--a development window, charts for analysis in the other.
2) 1080p resolution due to the larger screen. also good for movies.
3) battery life is not too important. I usually leave it plugged in while working. batteries only last a year, maybe two max, anyway.
4) my target range is ~$1000. my life cycle on laptops is about 5 years. I'm targeting lower end gaming computers to get the best cpu/$ ratio and best productivity.
5) my preference is for i7 6700hq. I'm looking for a processor that is powerful enough to do calculations fairly quickly, handles larger data sets well, won't get bogged down with multiple apps running, and isn't prone to overheating. will be using for large data sets, machine learning, natural language processing, python, R, Android Studio.
6) I don't need a DVD drive, but is nice to have.
7) Considering ASUS and MSI for quality and value. Have had good experience with ASUS.
8) I don't do much gaming, so the graphics card speed and type of display isn't an issue.
9) I'll add an SSD drive later to hold the OS and programs. Can get something larger after the initial purchase for a better price.
10) I don't expect to need more than 16 GB RAM.

Any suggestions, including other laptops I should consider, are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Duane.

cubicrubic

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
The extra 2gb for the gpu on the asus doesn't do much. As far as I know the GTX960M is limited in it's capability to take full advantage of more than 2 gb. Also, I believe the msi has two fans. How many does the asus have?