Looking for a new laptop.

TexCanaan

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015
I'm currently saving to get a new laptop to replace the one I have, as it's getting on in age now. While I want to be able to play some of the newer games out there, I'm not really willing to give up my older ones. So I'm trying to find an acceptable compromise. Having seen another such request for info on this site, I felt I'd give it a shot and see if anyone here has any good suggestions for me to look over. So, here goes! :)

1. What is your budget?
-$500.00 maximum

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
-I'd prefer at least a 15.6" display

3. What screen resolution do you want?
-1366 x 768 or better

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
-Portability isn't a priority; I am fine with a heavier or bulkier laptop

5. How much battery life do you need?
-I'd be fine with 3 hours to be honest, as it would primarily be used at home

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
-I am primarily interested in the following games, but would like to have the option of playing some more recent ones as well.

Baldurs Gate II
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
The Sims 3
Divinity 2
Divinity: Original Sin
Fallout: New Vegas
Killing Floor 2

For the more recent games, I am fine with medium to lower settings. For instance, I can currently play Aliens Vs. Predator 2010 in minimum graphics, but I still lag a good deal in many areas of the game.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
-Web browsing, movies, music, sound recording, possibly some minor work with Blender (a 3d Max tool).

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
-500GB would probably be sufficient.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-I don't currently have anything in mind.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
-As long as possible. I want something that will last at least 5 years if well cared for.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
-I need to be able to read and write DVDs.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
-I generally prefer AMD-based machines, especially from Toshiba. My current laptop is a Toshiba L505D-S5965, running Windows Vista Home Premium, and it's been just about perfect for my needs. Were it not for it starting to show its age, I'd just stick with it.

13. What country do you live in?
-United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
-If at all possible, I'd really like something that either has Windows Vista/7 pre-installed, or that I can install the OS myself. I've used Windows 8/8.1, and I really hate it. But, if I have to, I guess I can eventually get used to WIndows 8. I'll still be saving my money for some time, so there isn't any immediate urgency for a replacement. If you could provide 2 - 4 options for me to look over, that would be great. Thanks. :)

Solution

Warukyure

Estimable
Solution