looking for a recommendation

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Rest assured, I'm not a complete noob without a clue as to what I'm doing. I'm back in the market for a good MP3 player. Video playback is a nice addition, and considering most support it these days, I'm not too worried about it. Same with photos. I previously owned a 20GB Creative Zen Touch, and lost all functionality when I updated the firmware. Needless to say, after that, and since the warranty expired long ago, I'm kinda worried about getting another Creative player (though the Zen was wonderful while I had it). I'm looking for something in the 30-60GB range, and I do NOT want an Ipod. I just don't like them.

At this point, I'm torn between the Toshiba Gigabeat and the Zune (though I'm completely open to other suggestions). I recently found a 60GB Gigabeat for 30GB prices, and I'd throw down the money right now if I hadn't heard horrible stories about a complete lack of customer support and reformatting issues. As for the Zune, it looks sleek, it would interface with my pc and Xbox 360 wonderfully, but when I can get a potentially sketchy 60GB Gigabeat (or another player, as I said recommendations are more than welcome) for a lower price, I'm intrigued. And I would easily get a Zen Vision if I wouldn't have watched my Zen Touch get turned into a brick by a firmware "update".

I'm the average college student who listens to music nonstop while studying/driving/whatever, I need good battery life, and I have a music library that a 20GB player just couldn't keep up with. Thanks for anything you guys can give.

--chedrz

Gustafarian

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Creative have just announced that they are slimming the 60 GB Zen. Take a look:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/12/creative-cuts-the-chub-from-vision-m-and-vision-w-players/

I have the 30GB but now I want one of these!