Solved! Looking for a reliable Laptop for my dad.

Nov 30, 2018
Hello,

I'm gonna use this (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/50797-35-laptop-buyers) format for my post:

1.Budget is around 500EUR.

2.Size should be around 20".

3.Resolution, anything above 720p that is 16:9.

4."Portable or desktop replacement laptop" Don't really know, the one that fits the most criterias ?

5.Battery life, the charge itself doesn't to last long, as it will be mostly be plugged, for the life itself of the battery, the longer the better.

6.For games, medium settings with atleast 30fps would be good, he mostly plays free games (world of warship, fortnite, crossout, robocraft) that aren't very demanding as far I know.

7.Aside from that, it'll mostly be used for for internet, and then some technical drawing software, don't know which yet.

8.Storage wise, 500GB is plenty enough.

9.We're in Belgium, so I primarily use;Tweakers, Amazon, eBay, and then BE GER NE websites to see which one has the better deal, only use ebay/amazon as last resort (although I've never had any issues with either of those two, they're the least safe ones AFAK).

10.The longer the laptop lasts for that price range the better.

11.As far as optical drive goes, it's pretty irrelevant nowadays as far as we're concerned.

12.Don't care for brands either way.

Alright, my thanks to anyone who can help me with this, I've looked it up but all I got was misinformation or outdated stuff.

Solution
An SSD would make the whole system run faster, it really does not matter if it's games or normal work like email/spreadsheets. In fact, it wont matter much in gaming aside from programs opening faster, the frames and quality you can get to is dependent on the CPU and video card.

Your budget is a bit low go get an ideal system, there will be a few compromises unless you get a used system. If you can up your budget a bit, there is this 17" Lenovo that has a good CPU and an OK video card https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079Y4DHMP/ref=psdc_429886031_t2_B07DPCWTNS

Keep in mind you can't upgrade the laptop CPU or video card, so the best you can get now is what you should go for. Silly to save $200 now when you will be regretting it in 2...
Nov 30, 2018
@eboss 17" is alright, and it isn't for work so SSD isn't necessary.

@stevenjemint Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look it up.

Anyone got any other suggestions ? Would be much appreciated.

An SSD would make the whole system run faster, it really does not matter if it's games or normal work like email/spreadsheets. In fact, it wont matter much in gaming aside from programs opening faster, the frames and quality you can get to is dependent on the CPU and video card.

Your budget is a bit low go get an ideal system, there will be a few compromises unless you get a used system. If you can up your budget a bit, there is this 17" Lenovo that has a good CPU and an OK video card https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079Y4DHMP/ref=psdc_429886031_t2_B07DPCWTNS

Keep in mind you can't upgrade the laptop CPU or video card, so the best you can get now is what you should go for. Silly to save $200 now when you will be regretting it in 2 years or even in a week once you start using it.

If you can get away from the 17" laptop screen to 15.6" models you will have a lot more options also.

Solution
Nov 30, 2018
"An SSD would make the whole system run faster, it really does not matter if it's games or normal work like email/spreadsheets. In fact, it wont matter much in gaming aside from programs opening faster, the frames and quality you can get to is dependent on the CPU and video card.

Your budget is a bit low go get an ideal system, there will be a few compromises unless you get a used system. If you can up your budget a bit, there is this 17" Lenovo that has a good CPU and an OK video card https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079Y4DHMP/ref=psdc_4298860...

Keep in mind you can't upgrade the laptop CPU or video card, so the best you can get now is what you should go for. Silly to save $200 now when you will be regretting it in 2 years or even in a week once you start using it.

If you can get away from the 17" laptop screen to 15.6" models you will have a lot more options also.
Pick as the solution"

First, thank you for the detailed post !

Now, I'm not new to computers, I'm just clueless when it comes to laptops, and my dad rather save money than have the ups of a SSD.

I'll try to talk him into 15" then, thanks for the info.

Not much different at the core between laptops and desktops, there is still a hard drive, a CPU, possibly extra video card, a screen, keyboard, mouse, etc.. just the laptop parts are made for space constraints and more power savings. If there are any sort of games to be played on it, especially something like Fortnite, you really want to have a decent video card in the system past the onboard Intel stuff.

Nov 30, 2018
Except every laptop I've ever seen gets super slow 3 month to a year after use, regardless of their specs, which is the reason I made this thread I know very well what a GPU or a SSD is, I just don't know what laptops can function properly for a reasonable amount of time (3-5 years).
I never owned a laptop myself, I just know they're junk, that or every person I know are just that bad at having a pc. I'd like to compare it to android/iPhone, but I know this one is due to software, while I have no idea why laptops are so bad.

But my dad wants a laptop so he can transport it on his bicycle because he's too addicted to pot to get his license back.

Only thing that slows down computers is people loading software on them that causes issues, possibly overheating, and drive issues also cause slowness. Most "slow" systems I have worked on have too much things running in the back-ground, spyware, viruses. Nothing causes laptops to just slow down vs a desktop computer, it's in the use. Soon as a clean Windows setup is done it's good as new, just need to monitor what gets installed on them. Also keep in mind that when running on battery laptops drop speed by default to conserve power, but that can be modified to run faster all the time, but battery life will drop.