looking for a small but quality sound system for PC

nevergone89

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Hello,
I will soon have my room rearranged and I have good flexibility for wiring up a nice sound system into it.

The room will have the size of 6.6 x 5.5 = 36 square meters. In the center of it, I will have my desk with my PC, which will be used for watching movies, games, listening to music (but not loudly) and also for work purpose.

I want to place 3 speakers on my desk, which will be in the center and 4 in the corners of the room. That's 7 speakers in total. Or 3 speakers on my desk and 2 on the wall behind me. That's 5 speakers in total. This depends on the pricing on the system. I don't want a setup for special effects like hearing the voice from the back when there is someone behind me in a game. I just want this for a nice surround acoustic, like a concert hall acoustic.

I am hoping to find a system that does not have any huge central unit, so that I can place it on my desk. I would also prefer a system with no complex controls inside the unit and no remote control ... a system which can be controlled from the computer and have its GUI on the computer and not physical. A system with Bluetooth technology may seem to be the best option, in case I still want to move things around in the future.

Very important, it should have a microphone and audio-in jack so I can easily insert my headphones in.

Budget depends on quality, I would say somewhere around 1000$.

Does something like this exist?

To avoid all that wiring and still be able to move things around in the future, I would prefer something based on bluetooth.

Solution
Placing the speakers in the front corners is not the best way to go. Three speakers on your desk and a pair of surround speakers in the back corners plus maybe a sub makes the most sense.
I don't know of a bluetooth based surround sound system. BT doesn't support 5.1 directly.
You could use the PC 5.1 outputs and powered speakers for the three front. Surrounds could be wireless but would need to be plugged into AC which doesn't make them completely wireless. A bluetooth transmitter connected to the surround out of the PC would send a signal to them. Two mono bluetooth speakers won't produce left and right channels for the rears so you would need a stereo pair and those need a wire between the speakers too.
Your PC could do the surround...
Placing the speakers in the front corners is not the best way to go. Three speakers on your desk and a pair of surround speakers in the back corners plus maybe a sub makes the most sense.
I don't know of a bluetooth based surround sound system. BT doesn't support 5.1 directly.
You could use the PC 5.1 outputs and powered speakers for the three front. Surrounds could be wireless but would need to be plugged into AC which doesn't make them completely wireless. A bluetooth transmitter connected to the surround out of the PC would send a signal to them. Two mono bluetooth speakers won't produce left and right channels for the rears so you would need a stereo pair and those need a wire between the speakers too.
Your PC could do the surround processing for movies and games but I don't know if there is any way to use the PC to process stereo music into surround sound at all let alone as well as an AV receiver would.
Alternatively you could use a surround sound receiver that has app or browser control. That would allow your PC to control the receiver. Marantz has a few models of small AV receiver that are quite good sounding and relatively simple.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS