Looking for a student laptop for about 800$

Blozar

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hi,

I'm looking for a decent laptop for a student for the basic uses of a student the budget is around 800$ or less.
an ssd would be awesome but it's optional same goes with a touch screen.
weight is not relevant and the screen size and other things should be average.
Please suggest any deals or models you know that fit the description.

Solution
Look again at the cheapest y510p.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

The y510p is way more performance than you need, and the Dell would work for you, but if it costs the same no reason to go so far down on performance.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Please answer a few questions first.

Do you plan to play any games what so ever?
If not you will come in well under $800 since you don't need a high end system for just taking notes.

What do you plan to do on the system?

Do you know much about laptops or computers in general?
The cheapest and easiest way for you to get an SSD in your system is to buy a laptop and put in the SSD after it comes. They are expensive though, and you will pay at least I think $350 for 1TB, and that is on sale.
If not you could consider a Hybrid HDD which helps to boot the system really fast and has some areas of improved performance, but very little in terms of transferring data.

Blozar

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Yes games will be played, nothing serious but maybe some light strategy ones.
The system is for a few games,movies,internet surfing, working on school projects and installing and using tools such as matlab and other needed for school.
Yes i know about computers but it's been a while since i bought\looked at recent parts.
Thanks for the SSD advice.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Well if you could go with a y510p from Lenovo, which would do really well, but is probably more power than you need and would not leave you much money to upgrade to an SSD.

Switching HDDs is really simple, but you need to reinstall the OS which is a bit of a pain if you don't enjoy computer work.
to cut cost though a Hybrid HDD will perform pretty well, I personally want to get one. It would boost performance and be 1TB for like $80, crazy cheaper.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Look again at the cheapest y510p.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

The y510p is way more performance than you need, and the Dell would work for you, but if it costs the same no reason to go so far down on performance.

Solution

Joseph 310

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Apple® - MacBook Pro with
Retina display - 15.4"
Display - 16GB Memory -512GB Flash Storage
Model: ME294LL/A I have a new one for $1100 your saving over a g hit me up people I'm I'm Downey CA 562 2507964

IInuyasha74

Honorable
No matter what you do, don't listen to that guy and buy a Mac of any kind.
Apple products are way over priced. For example, compared to the the model Joseph 310 just posted, any y510p has the same CPU and GPU, and the cheapest y510p is about $800 not $2400.

Going up to $1000 you get a high resolution screen, and dual GPUs. Still cheaper than any Apple, and much better. A few small areas like display resolution and SSD the Apple may win, but there is no need for more than a 1080p LCD on a laptop, and you can buy a 1TB SSD for like $500 and still be way under the price of the Apple.