Looking for a way to stop a flashing power botton

studentAlexis

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
When I click my power button on my HP laptop my computer goes to sleep, but the power button starts to flash and it is draining my battery. The only way I can get it to stop is to turn my laptop all the way off. How do you get this to stop?

Karadjgne

Honorable
Herald
Dec 26, 2012
the light is a small LED. it has such a seriously low power draw, you could run that light alone for months and not drain the battery. What will drain the battery is sleep mode, depending on if you are using hibernation, just how deep sleep is set for etc. There's only 2 states possible, On or Off. Sleep is still on, just doing very little, but still does things. This is draining your battery far faster than a blinking LED. Also to consider is both heat and battery age. Hotter the battery, faster it drains, older the battery, less charge it'll hold, faster it seems to drain.

It is quite normal for the light to flash when in sleep mode. Just depends on the device. There is no simple way to stop it, other than to turn the laptop off completely. Anything else will involve either taping over the light so you just don't see it. :) Or going into the laptop and seeing if it is possible to disconnect the light from the motherboard. Which may not be possible. Also, if you do either of these it would make the light not work/not be visible at any time for anything. Usually not the best option.

If it is really bugging you, then you are probably better off shutting down the computer rather than putting it to sleep. Which will also keep it from draining your battery, which sleep does still do.

Karadjgne

Honorable
Herald
Dec 26, 2012
the light is a small LED. it has such a seriously low power draw, you could run that light alone for months and not drain the battery. What will drain the battery is sleep mode, depending on if you are using hibernation, just how deep sleep is set for etc. There's only 2 states possible, On or Off. Sleep is still on, just doing very little, but still does things. This is draining your battery far faster than a blinking LED. Also to consider is both heat and battery age. Hotter the battery, faster it drains, older the battery, less charge it'll hold, faster it seems to drain.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 2
F Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 3
P Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 15