Looking for advice on tracking down a stolen laptop

superdragonbeast

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
Hello. Have a Thinkpad S1 Yoga that was lifted from me at the DCA airport on Friday 7/25/14. I know I should have had a particular program installed to protect against situations like this but at this point I can't do much about that. I have a Police Report in the works and have made contact with the DCA lost and found.

The laptop is linked to my Windows Live account at login, it's loaded with Windows 8.1. I have online access and can see when I log in successful, verify a login attempt from an unverified device or unsuccessfully log in. There is no Ethernet or CD drive on the laptop, just wireless internet which appears to have been connected. Based on the Windows Live logs, I can see that a log in attempt was made at 8:49pm on 07/27/14 with an associated IP address.

My question to the forums: What can someone like myself do with this information? I know that an IP can be used by the government or someone with more technical knowledge than myself can track me down and that companies like Apple can hunt down their prototype iPhones when they get lost in bars but can I look up where this login attempt was (and any future attempts) to try to get my property back? Or at least find a tool to use the IP to gleen additional info for the authorities? Feel free to reply here or PM me.

Solution
The laptop has to be on and connected to the internet for someone to track it. But yes you defiantly can i would call mircrosoft or lenovo. Do you have like receipts anything that would have like the product id number or serial number for the laptop.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
The laptop has to be on and connected to the internet for someone to track it. But yes you defiantly can i would call mircrosoft or lenovo. Do you have like receipts anything that would have like the product id number or serial number for the laptop.

Solution

superdragonbeast

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
I have the manufacturer number, serial number, original box with additional numbers and codes such as MAC address. I also have the receipt from Newegg, purchased it back in January. I can most certainly prove I own it if it is tracked down. Police Report is absolutely in the works.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

Well im not sure who you should call next i would try microsoft when the police report is done if the cops dont do anything i would think microsoft would be the one who tracks it not the police not sure tho.

superdragonbeast

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
Microsoft directed me to their answers.microsoft.com website. I called Lenovo and flagged the theft in their systems the event anyone tries to call them to get information or link it to themselves.

Still waiting to hear back from lost and found at the DCA airport. They don't let you talk to a live person on the numbers I was given just create a ticket with a description of the lost item. Police report is still pending. I was thinking maybe the IP address that was logged might be able to be obtained by law enforcement; with any luck its linked to someone's home address versus a Starbucks. Might be the best lead.

superdragonbeast

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
Quick update: They tracked down the individual using airport security cameras. I passed along the IP address, unclear whether that helped at all but they have determined that it is in this individuals possession and has not transfered beyond him. Thanks for the response to my questions all.