Looking for Best Laptop for Graphics design , daily use ?

MounirS

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
1. What is your budget? > $550 : $650

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? > 15-17 inches

3. What screen resolution do you want? > any thing with accepted viewing angle

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? > desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need? ~3-6 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? > No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? > Photo and Video editing, programming, 3D Modelling

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? > 750 - 1T

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. http://www.egyptlaptop.com/
http://egypt.souq.com/eg-en/laptop-notebook/l/
http://www.computershopegypt.com/en/computers/laptops
http://bit.ly/19FxJ9r

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 5 years <

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? > DVD

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. > i don'y like dell mat & lenovo z580 viewing angle .. HP Heat .. but all of this are good

13. What country do you live in? > Egypt

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

i like Z850 i5 1T 6G 2nividia

what about ?
Lenovo IdeaPad Z580

if there is any thing Better ,, PLZ help me

Solution

Hello MounirS,

I highly recommend against...
Some things you may want to consider looking at in addition to the ones you mentioned are:
1) What is the maximum amount of RAM it will support? For what you will be using it for I would recommend no less than 8GB of RAM.
2) Does it have a second HDD bay? If not now, in the future you may want to consider adding a second drive as a "scratch disk". When working in photo or video editing software it best not to store your project files on the same hard drive as the operating system and editing program.
3) Graphics card. Most editing software is able to take advantage of the GPU (graphics card) for processing files while editing.

The advantage for resolution goes to the Dell which states in specs it is full HD (1920x1080) while the HP and Lenovo are 1366x768. The processors seem to be equal (i5-3230M). The Dell has the edge, GPU wise, with a better graphics card than the HP. I will dig a little deeper to see what I can find.

MounirS

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

1) maximum amount of RAM i think 6 - 8 looks good

2) about second HDD ,,, i think my budget very few for that

3) i heard that NiVidia is better for graphics

I know dell has better GPU but Less in ram and HDD there is no Full HD on my budget range and 1366x768 good for me

waiting 4 reply ... thanks

MounirS

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

thanks ,, good budget laptops .
but what about AMD CPUs .. it is not overheated ? or not prefered

there was a problem ACER Is not widespread in Egypt .. if I bought it form amazom what i will do if it damaged ?

IInuyasha74

Honorable

Hello MounirS,

I highly recommend against getting either laptop advised to you by byogamingpc. Based off what you say you want to have in a laptop, you don't want to go with anything with an AMD processor inside. AMD I think is wonderful and for my personal laptop I plan to buy an AMD processor. The reason I want this though is for playing games on my laptop. You say you don't plan to use this for gaming, so I think Intel is the only good choice for you in laptops.

These laptops if you can find them available on Amazon or one of your home markets is the best option for you. First:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314150

The Acer Aspire E1-572-6870 is a system well suited for your tasks. It features the best CPU that you can buy under I think $800 in America, and it performs extremely well. This system's real problem for you is the lack of a DVD drive. The graphics in this system are not very powerful, but it is not important. For any kind of video watching or anything else it will work fine. In truth it can play some older games or some newer ones at very low settings, so it suits what you are needing.

You asked about Acer, and some people do not like them but I personally like them a lot, and almost really more prefer them when buying. They have excellent deals and everything I have seen from them has been excellent quality.

The second laptop I would advise is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216539

It has an optical drive, almost equally strong processor, and pretty great graphics. AMD makes excellent graphics and I actually prefer them, but from what I have seen Nvidia graphics tend to work better with digital editing and are usually helpful with designing anything on the computer, so it is an excellent second choice. IF you want I will look for a cheaper option between these if needed.

Solution

MounirS

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

Hi IInuyasha74

i don't say i don't like AMD CPUs .. I know it's good for Graphics design use because having a lot or cores and cheaper than Intel , but is it reliable ?

I'll not use it for gaming but GFX design and 3D, so.. gaming laptop will work fine for me , i think .

the Acer Aspire E1 Is most bad choise for me because of the shared Graphics Card

and Acer is good company , I'm talking about the existence of spare parts in my Country . Acer is most commonly on Netbooks at mine .

The second laptop looks Great, Toshiba is the best Quality and good price for this one
Except The CPU is Ultra Edition . Lower in performance

thanks IInuyasha74

IInuyasha74

Honorable

Oh yes it is reliable. It will work fine for years without any problems.

The shared graphics card probably wouldn't be problem, but you will get better with something using a better graphics card. As you may have seen on my other posts, this is the laptop that I most highly recommend to anyone.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314119

It is the laptop I would buy. The only reason I haven't is because I am waiting till January for a better CPU. It has a quad core and will out perform the i5 laptops when you use all 4 cores like you will when rendering, and it has excellent graphics for a laptop that came do games pretty well. I think it is an excellent system, just would typically pick Intel for your specific uses, but this thing will still do wonders for you.

As for the ability to get it fixed, I don't know but I don't think it will be a problem. It seems well held together so I doubt anything on the case will break. If the CPU goes out the whole system is bad so that's not important. I the Hard Drive, RAM, or battery go bad they should be able to fix that fine even if they normally just do netbooks.

I will see if I see something a little better, I understand wanting the higher performance parts over the ones which have longer battery life.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
MounirS,

Yes I think you should still go for the Acer Aspire V5 I listed.
For RAM just buy an extra 8GB stick of ram. Here it is only $60, and once you get it you literally can just slide it into place, it is very easy. It can wait a short while also.

As for the Hard drive, you may consider an external drive to supplement your 500GB. Still the 500GB will hold a lot of information so you should be fine at least for a while. I think it is by far your best choice.

MounirS

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

thanks ,,
but intel GPU can't handle my work ..
thanks for your help

MounirS

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

thanks IInuyasha74 .. but i can't buy at this time from USA .. i think i'll go with Z585 or Z580 if i can't found acer
Many thanks 4 your help and care .