Looking for cheap good graphics gaming laptop

abdi_coolkid

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
I'm looking for a way to get a laptop that dosen't have the best cpu not much hdd no ssd 6-8 gb ram but a good gpu. Basically what i'm asking is if there are any laptops that have a good gpu and are cheap because everything else other then the gpu in the laptop isn't good. I'm focused on the gpu because i need a gaming laptop that can run overwatch and i plan to upgrade the other parts later. After watching some build your own desktop videos i saw them using an intel pentium 8gb ram and a geforce gtx 1050ti. They managed to get on ultra settings overwatch with 60 fps. i have an intel inside core i7 4720hq 2.60ghz cpu 8gb ram nvidia 940 m and a 1 tb hdd. I know for a fact my graphics card is the problem here but not much can be done since it's integrated. Is there at least a way someone can build their own laptop right now as i need the portability. Budget wise i'm trying to stay under 800$ which sounds very unreasonable but you never know :/

abdi_coolkid

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Wow man i've been looking for months and you found one for me in 6 minutes. You're a life saver. Is there any way you can find a cheaper one. Thanks a ton for the fast reply!

abdi_coolkid

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
I know this is super off topic but i also have another thing I've been struggling with in the last week. This is my first time posting on this website so i'm not really sure if i'm allowed to ask other questions on the side. My processor says its 2.60 ghz with turbo boost up to 3.60 ghz. I've seen people turn this function on in their bios but i have an msi motherboard and it doesn't seem to have the option in there. Other people have said that it is automatic and changes when it needs the power boost(playing games) https://ark.intel.com/products/78934/Intel-Core-i7-4720HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

volkgren

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
Laptops and most Big Box brand PCs have locked BIOS settings that don't allow you to change them. You can look and see if it allows you to change it.

It should be enabled by default. The max Intel Boost speed is only for a single core, and then it goes in steps down to 2 cores is 100-200MHz lower boost, 3 cores is a little lower, and all cores is even less, but still more than the base 2.60GHz.

Could look something like this:

1-core - 3.60GHz (only 1 core at a time)
2-cores- 3.4GHz (2 cores at the same time)
3-cores- 3.2GHz (3 cores at the same time)
4-cores- 3.0GHz (4 cores at the same time)

.. the seeds may be different, but that's just for an idea of what it does.

Install HWInfo64 and look at the sensors-only and see what each core is boosting to.

volkgren

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
It won't change the performance a lot, but it would be nice to have. You may see a slight difference in some scenarios. It certainly wouldn't hurt since that system is cheaper.