Looking for feedback on 2 very similar Y50's (SSHD vs. more GB in video card and price vs. patience)

yuag

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014
I'm looking at buying the Lenovo Y50 Touch. Ideally, I'd like one with 16 GB of RAM.

NewEgg has one currently for $1399 (but I've seen it as low as $1199) that has clearly stated 16GB of RAM, 1 TB HD plus 8 GB SSHD and the NVIDIA 860M 2GB video card.

TigerDirect has a very similar model for $1099 (after a $100 rebate) that states 16 GB of RAM and an NVIDIA 860M 4 GB video card. It is unclear and not stated whether or not this also includes 8 GB SSHD.

So my thoughts:

How important is the SSHD vs. the extra 2 GB on the video card? Is there a chance the tiger direct has an SSHD as well as the HD?

Secondly, in years past I've heard mixed things on TigerDirect, has their reputation changed over the years? I usually am loyal to NewEgg but if the models are similar and the prices that different I would go to Tiger for the purchase...or do I wait it out and see if the price drops at NewEgg possibly back to $1199 or lower? How realistic is it to go below $1199?

Solution
I'd say the extra 2GB on the card is nearly worthless, it would only be useful at very high levels of detail which the 860M would be ok, but not great, at. It just doesn't have the raw power to use 4GB, so i'd say get the 2GB and the faster HDD.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I'd say the extra 2GB on the card is nearly worthless, it would only be useful at very high levels of detail which the 860M would be ok, but not great, at. It just doesn't have the raw power to use 4GB, so i'd say get the 2GB and the faster HDD.

Solution