Looking for good headphones for gaming / movies - budget £150

Fineus_

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting some headphones for the first time and would like some advice please!

I'm considering the Beyerdynamic DT-770-PRO's having done some reading but have no idea which OHM version to get - I don't have a dedicated amp or sound card, just audio through my computers motherboard and an audio-out port. That's where the headphones would be plugged unless I found a compelling reason to get an audio card.

I'm not an audiophile and won't get up in arms that I don't have *the best* - but I would like to find the best bang for my buck of course.

Budget up to £150, must be comfortable for extended wearing and *not* wireless.

Sound wise I've done some reading and am looking for a 'V' profile - good bass tones for gaming. I want gunfire to sound punchy and immersive, not flat.

Are the Beyerdynamic DT-770-PRO's a good bet for my needs? Would you guys recommend other brands?

Thanks! :)

Solution
Looking at UK pricing the DT 770 PROs are the same price as the m50x, it's a no brainer. The DT 770 PROs are better in just about every way asides from not having a removable cable. There are mods for this however.

Go with the 80 ohm version. Best bang for your buck and they should be efficient enough to be driven by your onboard and portable devices. If you can't drive them to the volume levels you want, look into a headphone amp.

Will sound leakage be a problem? Do you plan to also use these headphones on tho go? If the answer is no to either of those questions you could also look into open back models.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Looking at UK pricing the DT 770 PROs are the same price as the m50x, it's a no brainer. The DT 770 PROs are better in just about every way asides from not having a removable cable. There are mods for this however.

Go with the 80 ohm version. Best bang for your buck and they should be efficient enough to be driven by your onboard and portable devices. If you can't drive them to the volume levels you want, look into a headphone amp.

Will sound leakage be a problem? Do you plan to also use these headphones on tho go? If the answer is no to either of those questions you could also look into open back models.

Solution

Fineus_

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015
Thanks both for your help on this :)

Actually a late contender popped up yesterday with some new Sennheiser offerings...

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sennheiser-hd-400-hands-on,news-21558.html

Would they give the DT-770 a run for its money at all?

I'll only be using these in my room so sound leakage etc. is not a problem - they'll only ever be hooked up to my PC...

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Probably not, Sennheiser is not known for their lower end models.

If you wanted the benefits of an open back headphone, while keeping the same V shaped sound signature you could look into the DT 990 PRO. Might not be as bassy as the 770 PRO but their sound is more refined on the whole. The treble is more pronounced than the former, which could be an issue to some that are sensitive to high notes.

Fineus_

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015

Well... I slept on it, then slept on it some more... then ordered the 990 Pro's and... if I could award you best solution twice I would. They're stunning. Excellent reproduction across a range of sounds I've tried them on so far.

Thank you.