Looking for Good Student/Gaming Laptop

abbottle

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
So I'm going to college and I'm looking for a laptop that would be good for both college and gaming. I'm not looking for a straight gaming computer like Alienware or the like, and I'm looking to keep it under $700. I play WoW and use Ventrilo a lot, as well as Adobe Photoshop and the standard Microsoft applications. I need a computer with good audio (preferably one with Beats audio) and a great graphics card, as well as a good amount of memory (although I have no issue adding in ram). At the same time I need it to be functional for student and college life. It needs to have a CD/DVD drive (if available) and USB ports as well.

1. What is your budget?
Around $700.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Not Important

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Medium-High resolution, preferable high. I'll be using it mostly for student material, as well as for Adobe Photoshop and for World of Warcraft.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable is a must, preferable around 5lbs

5. How much battery life do you need?
Around 3-4hrs.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
World of Warcraft - Medium to High, though preferably high

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Microsoft Office, Netflix, Adobe Photoshop, as well as video editting software.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Something around 500gb with room for extra ram.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I'm looking to use a student discount but I would prefer to buy from Bestbuy, since my brother works there and can get me a discount. Also, they sell open box laptops for a third of the price sometimes, so if I could find the computer open box that would be perfect.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 5-7 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I would like to be able to watch DVD-Rom/BluRays, though just a DVD-ROM/CD writer is fine.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I would prefer not to use a Toshiba or a Dell. My dad has a Toshiba and we've had such problems with it, from it overheating and having to wipe it constantly to it not holding a charge. I've had similar issues with Dells as well and have found that they don't hold up well over time. I like VAIO as well as HP.

13. What country do you live in?
US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I need something with really nice audio output, built in speakers, as well as a DVD/CD drive and USB ports. I like touchscreen and would prefer the computer to have at least Windows 7 on it. NO VISTA.

If you have any recommendations from past experiences or from friends' experiences, please let me know! Thanks!

swat7970

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Lenovo G580

its well balanced from all aspects :
storage : 500 GB and above according to variant
cpu: i5 3rd generation
gpu:hd 4000 or nvidia according to variant

the resolution is 1366x768

at worst case should you get the 4000 hd variant , it should run wow great on medium settings , and best of all its a budget laptop that lies between 500 and 700 dollars max according to the variant .

windows 7 preinstalled ofcoarse (some cases windows 8).

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Lenovo Y400 is an outstanding laptop with great portability and good gaming potential.

It has an i7 processor, GT 650, and JBL audio.

I currently have the laptop now and it has been great. I play Starcraft II, League of Legends, and Diablo III maxxed and Planetside 2 and Battlefield 3 on medium settings.

The speakers are the best I've ever heard from a laptop and way better than the beats audio on my Father's HP.

The unit is well built and the back-lit keyboard looks great. It is also pretty lightweight.

There is a great deal on it now for $720.

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/lenovo-ideapad-y400/43036.aspx