Looking for great gaming laptop

Goymaha

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Hello, I'm looking for a great gaming laptop. I have a few ideas, but I would like some recommendations.

1. What is your budget?

$1,900 (including 3-year warranty)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

~15"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

At least 1080p.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop replacement. I would like to focus on power, but (some) portability is also important.

5. How much battery life do you need?

~3 hours (the more, the better)
This time is based on when under light use for word processing.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I would like to play a variety of games on their high-ish settings. Some ultra-intensive games are not included in that group. I will be playing mostly new releases and that sort.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Word processing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Min. 250GB. 750GB+ would be nice.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Digital Storm. Particularly this laptop. (that's all I have so far, feel free to change the configuration as necessary)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3-5 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Nothing fancy. Any 8x multi-function DVD/CD drive will do.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Prefer:
Digital Storm (price, power, customer service)

Do not prefer:
Alienware (extremely pricey, I've heard tons of bad things)

- If there's any other brand that you would recommend that suits my situation, feel free to include it. -

13. What country do you live in?

USA.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I am going to use this laptop primarily for gaming, but I would also like to use it for taking notes with word processing. I know this could be an issue with power vs portability, but I would like something that would work well for my needs.

This is just from looking around online. Please, give me your recommendation given these parameters. Need to go a bit outside of them? Go ahead.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
The only other laptop I can think of currently that'll match the value of that Digital Storm would be this Sager NP9150. In terms of hardware, it's got almost the same guts as the DS (probably has a different motherboard, but same GPU/CPU/optical, etc). However, it's also a little over $100 cheaper, AND you can get a free upgrade from the default 500GB HDD to either a 500GB Hybrid drive or a 750GB HDD. You could also get a free upgrade to 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, but it won't help you in gaming and it'll drain your battery faster (so you're better off sticking to the 2x8GB 1600MHz default).

One important thing to note is that it defaults with no OS - so the price difference with W7 is cut back to about $40. I cannot comment on Sager/Clevo/XoticPC's customer service as compared to Digital Storm's, as I've no experience with them. But the Sager is a solid alternative.