Looking for Headset recommendations now that I've returned the HyperX Cloud 2's

jdk4sabres

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
So after all the trouble with the Cloud 2 headset that we went through on my other post I decided to return them to Amazon for a refund

So now I'm looking to buy a new headset for the refunded $120 that is good quality and also durable. I loved the build of the Clouds, the metal arms meant that it would have lasted for a long time and the memory foam ear cups were amazingly comfortable for a glasses wearer like myself.

I've got a pair of Turtle Beach PX22's that are around 6 to 8 months old and the plastic arms are already cracked. One feature I do like on the PX22's though is the volume knob for my own voice to playback into my headphones so I'm not screaming due to the noise cancellation.

So basically I'm looking for:

1. Comfort, especially since I wear glasses 24/7.
2. Durable, because apparently my head breaks plastic armed Turtle Beach headsets.
2. If possible the option to playback my own voice to the headphones would be a nice feature.

I'm off to do some more research.

Solution
if your budget is more "flexible" you may want to look up some other posts i've made on the subject by searching the forum for "ssddx headphone" or "ssddx headset" (or google search "ssddx headphone headset tomshardware")

there are some options in the $120-200 range which also are very worth considering if within budget. your choice in that regard though.

the hyperxcloud 1 (original version) is good and well recommended. the newer version 2 is not and suffers from many problems. the original is worth using and buying while the version 2 is not. for the money the original hyperxcloud is tough to beat for value.

as far as other options for about $120?

if a "closed" design headphone suits your needs and if you are in the usa then the ath-m50's (not m50x) are available on ebay open box but brand new for $99. you could use a moovmic or zalman clip on for a mic which attaches to them. sound quality is good on the m50s although the soundstage will be small and they tend towards warm and bassy. not 100% ideal for gaming (open designs are) but quality for the money is great. the microphones are acceptable but not extremely high end.

if instead "open" back suits your needs more and you would rather have a wide soundstage for competitive gaming with very little bass output then the ad700x for $113 may be more your style though adding a mic to them may bring your total over budget. the ad700x is popular with so called pro gamers since the low bass output means you can hear footsteps and other clues easier though overall they are not as immersive and fun as other more bassy sets. again, for the money you arent going to be able to pair it with a high end microphone but something which would work.

another thought is the vmoda m80. decent quality sound though not so great on treble and isolation. they make a microphone boom mic that goes with them too you can get seperate but total cost may be slightly over what you paid originally.

if seperate headphone and mic combinations are not even an option then perhaps the pc320 by sennheiser which is not bad for the price. sennheiser is known for having pretty decent microphones and sound quality is going to be decent for the price (though not as good as a headphone in the same price bracket). the pc320 is a non-usb version of the u320.

i know for a fact the audiotechnic ad700x is said to be comfortable for those with glasses or large ears. the m50 not quite as much but some users say they are fine with glasses and you can change the pads out if you find them not ideal. the pc320 is also said to be okay with glasses. the vmoda arent the most comfortable with glasses though over time they soften up and bending the headband for less clamp can certainly help.

the m50s are built like tanks. mine are 5 years old (you can see a photo by clicking the build link in my sig) and they look almost brand new despite being heavily used. plastic and metal construction but very solid. the pc320 and ad700x are fair on durability but not great. the vmoda's are rumored to be rather sturdy built and will hold up to a fair amount of abuse.

anyways just a few options.

if your budget is more "flexible" you may want to look up some other posts i've made on the subject by searching the forum for "ssddx headphone" or "ssddx headset" (or google search "ssddx headphone headset tomshardware")

there are some options in the $120-200 range which also are very worth considering if within budget. your choice in that regard though.

Solution