Looking for help

Solution
Most phones will not work without a SIM in them. (If they use/require a SIM that is, not all phones use one.)

If you are wanting to have 'service' on the device, you will need a working and activated SIM for that. However, if you are just wanting to use the device, but not to have phone/data service, say just for photos, music storage or even using it via WiFi only (I have a phone I do that with) then you would 'usually' just need a SIM that you can keep it it. Even if there is no active service for that SIM. Most devices that require a SIM won't even turn on fully without one physically in them.
Most phones will not work without a SIM in them. (If they use/require a SIM that is, not all phones use one.)

If you are wanting to have 'service' on the device, you will need a working and activated SIM for that. However, if you are just wanting to use the device, but not to have phone/data service, say just for photos, music storage or even using it via WiFi only (I have a phone I do that with) then you would 'usually' just need a SIM that you can keep it it. Even if there is no active service for that SIM. Most devices that require a SIM won't even turn on fully without one physically in them.

Solution