Looking for movie media file manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doramius

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Preferably a free or inexpensive one. I've searched all over, but the problem is I don't want a manager that's going to search IMDB or other online site. I've tried a few of those, and they DO NOT provide the info I want. I tried others where it was just a catalog of the movies you have. All of that is worthless.

What I am looking for is a standalone program that doesn't go online for anything other than an update that I can turn on & off, where I can select the folder where all my movies are, identify the titles, allows me to enter MPAA & TV ratings, tells me the aspect ratio/resolution, running time, allows me to title search with filters like rating, genre, year, etc. If I want artwork or clip to show, I don't want it to go online to search for it. I want to do it on my own. I create many of my own artwork labels, and a lot of software won't let me use it.

And it'd be nice if it allowed me to select the primary player to open the files I click on in the manager. IE: VLC, Windows Media Player, Real Player, Quicktime, etc.

I must've tried about 40 different softwares, and they have all been useless for my needs. I can't be the only person who wants to manage their movies like this, can I?

Some software I have tried that does not meet my needs:
EMDB, XBMC, MeD's Movie manager, FX Movie Manager, eXtreme Movie manager, Libra, Delicious Library, Best Movie Manager, Movie Manager Pro, Ember,

Solution

I have a huge collection as well. I use the WDTV LIVE device (plus USB hard drive). There's no SEARCH functionality, but I do have everything in folders so it's fairly easy for me to...
Well, I've frankly given up and just launch out of Windows Explorer.

For using an HDTV, I use the WDTV Live device (Warning, the recent model does not support Netflix/Hulu):
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

I use the following software on my PC:

1) K-Lite Standard (viewer and codecs)

2) Mkvmerge (removing subs, audio tracks)

3) Handbrake (convert or compress)

4) TVRename (rename tv and anime series. small learning curve)

It looks like you've tried most of the managers, and like me didn't find exactly what you wanted. I'm not sure it even exists.

Doramius

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
I actually use a few of those softwares, myself. However, it doesn't 'manage'. And I don't use Hulu or netflix on my system. I have a huge DVD & Blu-Ray collection, along with personal/home movie creations. I've ripped everything to a large NAS RAID. I have a few HTPCs in various rooms in the house. I also have kids, & friends, and relatives that stop by. Being able to manage everything and search with filters would be heaven sent.

I agree. I don't think the software exists. I don't understand why. This is media management at its basic.

I have a huge collection as well. I use the WDTV LIVE device (plus USB hard drive). There's no SEARCH functionality, but I do have everything in folders so it's fairly easy for me to use.

My sister's family needs basic functionality so I bought them one. I ripped some DVD's and BD's to an ISO image format which the device supports. For example, in Movies-> Sci-Fi, Fantasy-> Harry Potter... I have all eight movies as ISO so my sister just selects the one she wants. It works EXACTLY like a DVD player but without the disc.

For my ANIME collection, I just have individual files in folders (no metadata) but they are individually named via TVRENAME.

(ExplorerXP is a useful tool as well for batch renaming. You need to modify the EXE for compatibility but then it's great. For example, if I have 24 episodes with long, long names I renumber to "01, 02...24", then insert "S01E" (i.e. S01E24...) and finally use TVRENAME which adds the episode names (needs "S01E01" format and files in subfolders name "Season 1" etc).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.