lyonschembri

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015
Hello there , a couple of months ago i purchased a pavilion 15 laptop (ay168sa model) and has no backlight also no hdd.
I`d like a recomendation on a UK backlit keyboard and an ssd (has to be best price to performance)

Any other upgrades i can do to this device ?

Many thanks

Solution
I don't think this AY model is available with a back-lit keyboard version in any market. Even if you did find one, you would have to make sure that the overlay frame matches the chunky 7-shaped Enter key on UK keyboards. Other markets, e.g. USA, use a chunky, inverted L-shaped Enter key.

And then, of course, there's okcnaline's caution about possible resistor degradation, which in itself should be reason enough not to attempt such an 'upgrade'.

So, back-lit or not, you can only replace the keyboard on an HP AY-series with a UK version if the HP was bought in the UK.

Edit: The 7-shaped Enter key seems to be a European thing.

lyonschembri

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015
okcnaline

i did backlight keyboard swaps on other laptops previously and also panel swapping - mine`s 720p and ips so its okay. i was looking at the ultra II ssd since its like 25 - 50 % better than an 850 evo for the same price.

okcnaline

Honorable
Herald
Nov 17, 2013
Backlight swaps can cause faster resistor degradation since more voltage than design is put through the keyboard circuit. And also, the laptop BIOS may blacklist panels not original. Seriously, there's a reason I tell you that you can't upgrade except for RAM and SSD. Just because it works theoretically doesn't mean it works in actuality.

I don't think this AY model is available with a back-lit keyboard version in any market. Even if you did find one, you would have to make sure that the overlay frame matches the chunky 7-shaped Enter key on UK keyboards. Other markets, e.g. USA, use a chunky, inverted L-shaped Enter key.

And then, of course, there's okcnaline's caution about possible resistor degradation, which in itself should be reason enough not to attempt such an 'upgrade'.

So, back-lit or not, you can only replace the keyboard on an HP AY-series with a UK version if the HP was bought in the UK.

Edit: The 7-shaped Enter key seems to be a European thing.

Solution