Looking for the Best Laptop for Someone who is Disabled

rosedragoon

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014
Hey everyone, I have a few questions that I am hoping someone would be able to answer for me.

A little back-story first: My sister is disabled with a neuromuscular disease, it is hard for her to sit at a desk for a large portion of time so she has always resorted to using laptops, basically something she can use while laying in bed for the majority of the day. Her current laptop is overheating like crazy so we want to invest in getting her a new one that won't overheat despite being on for 10+ hours a day.

The Question: What would be our best bet with laptops? The budget can go up to $1,000 however, she would feel more comfortable spending the money if she knew it could last for more than 2 years before breaking down (due to excessive use.)

She mostly plays browser games, uses tumblr & twitter, and chats with people via Skype. It would be ideal if the laptop can play some games (like The Sims.)

Also, would it be possible to get her a computer and hook it up to some type of mobile screen that she can use in bed? A computer would probably last longer and be easier to maintain, but she can't sit at a desk for that long.

Question Summarized: What laptop is best for someone who is mostly bed-ridden with a $1,000 budget. And would it be possible to get a computer with a mobile screen instead?

Thanks for you time,
Rosedragoon

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
How old is her current laptop? Other than overheating, are there any problems with it?

It's possible that all it needs is a little TLC. If it's relatively new and functions well except for the overheating, I can walk you through the process of giving it a thorough cleaning - a lot of people are very hesitant to open up their laptop, but it's a relatively easy process and a good cleaning can yield some surprising results as far as temps go.

If it's just old and crappy, then we can give you a steer on a new one. Does your sister have any issues with the use of her hands or eyes? As in, does it need an oversized keyboard or screen?

rosedragoon

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014

As far as I understand it is just an overheating problem. It turns off suddenly, and when it reboots it gives us an error message that mentions it overheated. It did give her a blue error screen once about two days ago, but haven't had it happen again. We did buy one of those fans that you put underneath the laptop, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Her disability mainly affects her legs/spine, so a normal sized keyboard/screen should be fine. I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but if there is a way to get a laptop that is lighter (like easy to move and not heavy) that would be a big bonus.

Edit: It's two years old.

How did your sister use the laptop in bed before using a laptop cooling pad? Did she simply putting it on her lap or a pillow to prop it up? If so then that is pretty bad because soft surfaces can block the vents underneath the laptop which will cause the laptop to overheat. If that was done over a prolonged period of time then it can cause permanent damage. The laptop needs to rest on a hard surface. Something like the following lap desk is recommended for using a laptop in bed; the laptop cooler can be placed on it and the laptop on top of the cooler.

http://www.brookstone.com/winsome-alden-flip-top-lap-desk-with-drawer-and-foldable-legs?bkiid=SubCategory_Home_Office_Desks_Laptop_Desks|SubCategoryWidget|855505p&catId=L3_LaptopDesk|L2_Desks|L1_HomeOffice

rosedragoon

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014

She mainly rested it on her lap, or placed it directly on the bed. Do you think if we invested in something similar to what you linked it would help the laptop last longer?

Like I said, placing the laptop on any soft surface can block the vents underneath the laptop which will cause overheating because no air is being drawn into the laptop. Therefore something like what I have linked to is highly recommended. It is likely to be too late for her current laptop since even when using the laptop cooler it still overheat. You can try to clean out any dust that maybe be blocking the vents prior to buying a new laptop.

What laptop does she currently have (make & model)?

rosedragoon

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014

It's the M6-1035dx, sorry about that.

rosedragoon

Estimable
Jul 10, 2014

This looks great, thanks for the help!