Looking to buy a laptop or get build a mini ATX

Infinitylsx

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
Sorry that this is 2 concepts, but I'm posting in the laptop section as that is probably more reasonable.

1. What is your budget? 500-700 USD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13-15 inches

3. What screen resolution do you want? The best I can get for this price.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? I have a desktop, but my current laptop is trashed, replacing it with a newer version would be great

5. How much battery life do you need? The more, the better

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes,
League of Legends - Very High
Counter Strike Global Offense - High
H1Z1 - Med-High
Total War Atilla - High
Other less CPU intensive stuff.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Photoshop, After Effects, Programming, Watch videos.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500GB-1TB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
www.Amazon.com would be the main one I would consider buying from.
Alienware, or other websites are good, I am opened to recommendations

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? None is needed.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Like:
Alienware - Decent laptop gaming even though they're dell.
Razer - Decent laptop gaming
Other? Open to recommendations.

Dislike:
Dell - Because they're dell.

13. What country do you live in? United States of America

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Dont really have any other information that is required.. Just really want this for semi-light PC gaming, and netflix and such.

MINI ATX~
I dont know anything about these, besides that they work for gaming, and they can have some decent power. The main plus about this is that it could be more powerful for gaming than a laptop, and more portable than a desktop.

Please let me know which you guys would recommend and any other stuff I should know. I am willing to raise my budget if needed.

Solution
If you are willing to raise your budget to a Lenovo Y50 it will last you a few years and you can definitely run those games at settings you want:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/

Though I would definitely recommend a Mini ATX Build since you get desktop power performance in a small package
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/geforce-gtx-750-ti-mini-itx-pc-build-guide
I would use this build and upgrade CPU to something like a mid range -high end i5 CPU and it would still fit in your budget
The 750Ti is a pretty good card (You can see from nvidia's benchmarks on that same page)
And you can even get a more powerful AMD Graphics card for about the same process as the 750Ti
Though the AMD Cards may not be...

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
If you are willing to raise your budget to a Lenovo Y50 it will last you a few years and you can definitely run those games at settings you want:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/

Though I would definitely recommend a Mini ATX Build since you get desktop power performance in a small package
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/geforce-gtx-750-ti-mini-itx-pc-build-guide
I would use this build and upgrade CPU to something like a mid range -high end i5 CPU and it would still fit in your budget
The 750Ti is a pretty good card (You can see from nvidia's benchmarks on that same page)
And you can even get a more powerful AMD Graphics card for about the same process as the 750Ti
Though the AMD Cards may not be recommended since they produce more heat and this is a mini Build

Solution

Infinitylsx

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015

Awesome thanks for the reply!
I do like that laptop, but it will require some more saving to do..
For the mini atx my biggest issue with that it the fact that it would require me to buy/bring a monitor and all the other peripherals with me everywhere I go, and I couldnt use it for school.

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Yep its a really nice laptop for that price!

Infinitylsx

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015

I posted on some other forums, they said lenovo has issues, AND they possibly monitor your pc.. That sort of creeps me out honestly.. Just the fact that someone could be watching me?

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

I think you are talking about something called snapperfish, the recent Lenovo Scare.
its already been taken care of pretty much and comes immediately uninstalled from the windows 8.1 built in antivirus
You will be fine

unionpac2004

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015

Then I guess there was no reason to ask about them in the first place, LOL... ;)

Would you consider a refurbed laptop?