Looking to buy a "vintage" record player

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicarae713

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Hello,

I am looking to buy a vintage record player, and am wondering if there are any recommendations? I am a casual Vinyl listener, and am looking for something small (possibly even portable) along the lines of the "suitcase" record player. There are a ton of vintage players out there--and other than the Airliner we had in my grand[arents basement --I have no clue. I already have a great hi-fi pioneer (thanks mom) that is in great shape, and sounds amazing--I really am going for size and asthetics.....help please? Would like to not spend more than 200$

vintage player does not preserve records, it wears them out fast.
Depends on if you want to preserve vinyl, with a much better turntable...
If the vinyl does not matter, then any one that sounds the best, or looks the best to YOU.
Check second hand shop, like Goodwill industries...

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Or maybe a new Pioneer or Sony tt with a cartridge? I think Music Hall (very well respected) offers a new tt with a decent cartridge for $250 or so on Amazon. I'm thinking about buying one to replace my old non functioning Thorens. Good luck,
Dave

merber

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Just bought a new vintage console and need to replace the needle. I called a bunch of places in chicago and they have all said that I need to order them online since it is an old system. I have tried searching online, but I don't know where to start and there are too many choices.

Here is my console:
http://furnishmevintage.com/livingroom/mid-century-modern-zenith-ml2670-stereo-console-phonograph/

Yes, I did buy it for looks, but I want to be able to use it on some old records (even if they wear out the records- I'm not playing any expensive/rare ones).

Can someone help me? This is the first time I am changing a record player needle and I thought the stores here in Chicago would be more helpful, but so far, nothing.

Thank you!

Meredith

Status
Not open for further replies.