Looking to buy graphic card for Alienware LAPTOP

lazerg20555

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015
I understand it is possible to crack open one's laptop and upgrade the graphic processing unit by removing the old graphic card and installing a new one. I want to do so, I have GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 765M
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.4GHz (8CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8.00 GB RAM (7.72 GB usable)
System Model: Alienware 17
BIOS: A01
Memory: 8182MB RAM
Chip Type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
DAC Type: Internal

With all the specs being said, also bear in mind that I cannot find just any place that sells laptop spares, so i have 2 receive them through online shipment, i.e the following link:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?shipCountry=lb&shipFromCountry=&shipCompanies=&SearchText=laptop+graphic+card+nvidia+gtx&exception=&minPrice=500&maxPrice=600&minQuantity=&maxQuantity=&isFreeShip=n&isFavorite=n&isRtl=n&isOnSale=n&isBigSale=n&similar_style=n&similar_style_id=&isAtmOnline=n&CatId=0&initiative_id=SB_20150917112329&needQuery=y

And my question is which one of these graphic cards are compatible? And bear in mind i have eyes on the first graphic card on top of the list.
Thanks in advance for the advise :)

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Asides from th GPU, you will also have to get a fitting heatsink, since the one that is on your laptop right now probably only fits the 765M. Another GPU will require another heatsink since the GPU's thermals are different and also the GPU is physically different. Another GPU also means more vram that needs to be cooled also.

I think your best bet will be Ebay, where you can search for upgrade kits including the heatsink for your laptop.

lazerg20555

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015
My laptop is a 17 inch, size is of the graphic card is not the issue they come in standard sizes, I'm just concerned what my motherboard will think about it if I installed one of these new cards:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?shipCountry=lb&shipFromCountry=&shipCompanies=&SearchText=laptop+graphic+card+nvidia+gtx&exception=&minPrice=500&maxPrice=600&minQuantity=&maxQuantity=&isFreeShip=n&isFavorite=n&isRtl=n&isOnSale=n&isBigSale=n&similar_style=n&similar_style_id=&isAtmOnline=n&CatId=0&initiative_id=SB_20150917112329&needQuery=y (Please check the link)

I got the idea from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVdxBnGMXGQ

And was hoping to know what which of the cards in the link above would be compatible, that's pretty much it. I already know of the thermal issues, just not the motherboard and compatibility issues :)

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Their size is the same, but the layout on the board is not. The 765m has less memory modules for example. The gpu on the 970m also is a bit bigger.

So if you plug it in and there are no issues with a locked bios or motherboard compatibility it should install fine, but due to not being cooled properly it would probably perform worse than the 765m. Then there is also the PSU question, if the psu can provide enough power for the gpu.

If you want to know for sure you should check with dell/alienware to check if the gpu in your specific model 17 can be upgraded.

lazerg20555

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015

I guess that's the proper course of action. Thanks :)

Acesis

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
I might be a bit late on offering input- but I am in the same boat except I have a 770M, and I was told by the Alienware technician that 880M was as far as I could go with new thermal paste on the heat sink. Looks to be about a 10 FPS gain on ultra settings.