Looking to buy my friends VR PC + Vive for £1150, is this spec worth the money?

TipToeTiger

Commendable
Feb 12, 2016
Hi all,
My friend is looking to get rid of his current setup as he has decided the Vive is not for him. I am not a massive PC person, so not 100% sure no what is good and what isn't. This is his PC spec below:

Case: CORSAIR CARBIDE 600C INVERTED FULL TOWER CASE - WINDOWED
Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard: ASUS® MAXIMUS VIII HERO: RoG, PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0
Memory (RAM): 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB Kit)
Graphics Card: 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk: 480GB HyperX SAVAGE 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk: 2TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Processor Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Power Supply: CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

He is asking for £1150, it also comes with the Vive.

Any information on whether this is a good deal would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Screenshot of spec incase it is difficult to read above: http://imgur.com/wVqjjf1

xFeaRDom

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
It is probably a bit high for Second Hand Components, would probably sell at around £1000, but with the Vive included, and because its a friend you can trust, and not some random seller on Ebay, then it would be worth that price, if you can work the pricing down a bit then you could probably get a better deal out of it, but for that price, if you're willing to pay for it then you may as well do so.

Just get him to run tests and things to prove that it all works and no crashes involved in stress tests etc.

TipToeTiger

Commendable
Feb 12, 2016

Cool, thanks for the reply. Yeah he has told me that he has had the computer for only a few months and has barely used it. It seemed like a good deal to me. Would you say the PC is some what future proof?

xFeaRDom

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Well just look at it in this way,

Currently, the top processor recommended for Gaming/Rendering for a good budget is the 6700K, not many people, unless they have a lot of money go for the 6800K etc.

The 980Ti is GTX 1070 performance, and may need upgrading in a few years, DDR4 RAM and Motherboard will need upgrading when the CPU is upgraded, which will last probably a good, 3-4 maybe 5 years, depending on when you want to upgrade.

The first replacement you'd probably need to do is the SSD and HDD, but that is only if the performance drops and one of the drives start failing, which is highly unlikely.

Basically, it will last you a good 3 years, at least.

The CPU could probably last longer, as you can overclock it.