Looking to switch over to headphones from gaming headset

Chengus

Commendable
May 5, 2016
Hello all,
I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones, which will be primarily used for gaming. I've used a pair of G930s for the past four years and I felt they've done me well, however, I'm looking for something better. I'll list out the criteria that I'm looking for. I'll buy a separate microphone since from my research "gaming headsets" tend to be lower quality.

So my criteria are
> Price range up to $150 USD with some flexibility
> Prefer open over closed headphones since I'm in a quiet environment, but doesn't matter
> Would like something that doesn't push on my glasses too hard
> I value comfort as well, but not necessary
These are mostly for gaming and not for music and I do play FPS games sometimes, so headphones capable of keeping up with the sound of footsteps and the like would be nice.

Can anyone suggest any headphones? I've currently got some on my list
Sennheiser HD 380 PRO
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Sennheiser HD558

Thanks for reading!

Solution
For a start, "gaming headsets tend to be lower quality", was true 10 years ago, not anymore.
Secondly, you've really got to try and find a local hi-fi shop that has a variety to try out.
If that's not possible, look at hi-fi review sites like http://www.head-fi.org/

Myself and a dozen other people can tell you all sorts of things as to which is the better model, you pick one , buy them, then they sound no good?

I'm not trying to dismiss the help you get from here, I just think that audio is very subjective and one persons gem is another persons dud.

Ruggo181

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
For a start, "gaming headsets tend to be lower quality", was true 10 years ago, not anymore.
Secondly, you've really got to try and find a local hi-fi shop that has a variety to try out.
If that's not possible, look at hi-fi review sites like http://www.head-fi.org/

Myself and a dozen other people can tell you all sorts of things as to which is the better model, you pick one , buy them, then they sound no good?

I'm not trying to dismiss the help you get from here, I just think that audio is very subjective and one persons gem is another persons dud.

Solution

awsnapp

Commendable
May 3, 2016

Maybe he should go to Fry's electronics to test them out.