Looking to upgrade my laptop, any suggestions?

ttharp

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Hello I am looking to upgrade my laptop. I usually just play games in my free time (During boring class lectures). I have already purchases 2 x 8gb RAM chips that I will get in the mail soon. I have never been very good with the hardware and knowing whats what, but I do have a general understanding of what everything is and what it does.

Here is some information on my system... What can I do to make this computer great for playing games that require a good amount of juice?
(Will update what I have on there if something is missing)

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-7500 104 °C
Bald Eagle 28nm Technology
RAM
6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 804MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 222D (Socket FP3) 52 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (HP) 55 °C
Storage
698GB ST750LM022 HN-M7 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 31 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Upgrading to a Solid State Drive (SSD) is going to be the BEST of the BEST upgrade for your laptop. It will make your computer respond 10x faster in loading applications.

Besides that, I'd say upgrade to windows 10, and that's it. You have already maxed out the upgrade path of your laptop with RAM and hopefully an SSD.

ttharp

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

Any recommendations on the SSD I should get? Not trying to break the bank but I am willing to spend some money to get quality. [strike] Also, how difficult is it to change these out? Anyway I can transfer data from one to the other easily?
[/strike]
Is it possible to add an SSD and keep my current HDD?

I recommend the Samsung 850 EVO. I use them in my builds all the time, they are super fast SSDs for a very good price.

Open up the back of your laptop and see if it has two 2.5' mounts for hard drives, if you only see one (where the HDD is located) then you won't be able to run dual drives. But, do you know by any chance if your laptop is equiped with MSata or M.2?

John Chapman

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015

John Chapman

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
With a 1366 x 768 display I doubt if you'll have a second drive bay slot. They are usually seen on older 17" laptops. That means any SSD you buy has to replace your existing hard drive. It's likely your existing drive will be fairly full so you need a bigger SSD than your existing hard drive. That's going to be expensive. You may find it would be cheaper to buy a newer computer.
TechylnAZ is right though. A SSD will bring a new lease of life to your laptop. I changed the drive C of my 2007 Dell 1720 laptop for a Samsung 256Gb SSD, keeping one of it's 500 Gb Hard drives as drive D and putting the other into an external drive case. It made the laptop load MUCH faster and far more responsive. I only upgraded to a new system last year because I needed more RAM. The old laptop is still in use as a server and I really miss its 1920 x 1200 px screen