Looks Like the Pixel 3 Is Already in Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2018
Pretty ill informed view. Although it is true that the move from the Nexus to the Pixel is Google's attempt to make their phones more mainstream, the Pixel still remains a reference device of sorts i.e. it has its niche followers who will buy it and will over look cosmetics to a certain extent. There is little or no money for Google from the sale of these devices and again the Pixel is there for a. to tempt some of the apple users and b. manufacturers to follow the template that is Pixel.

M

M.Spoonauer

Thanks for your comment. This was the idea behind the Nexus initiative. But you don't blow that much money designing and marketing the Pixel line if you don't want people to buy it. Look at the work done around the camera alone. We're way beyond the reference design phase. And why buy HTC's phone design team? It's time to decide whether the Pixel is a pet project or something more.

May 31, 2018
Here in Australia, the pixel/pixel2 were exclusive to Telstra, the biggest (and most expensive) carrier we have.
This is why none of my friends or I bothered to get one. Yes I love the idea of owning a pixel phone, but I'm not going to switch carriers and be ripped off for the next 2 years with excessive phone bills.

my other option is buying outright, which I'd rather not do since I want the plan I'm currently on anyway.

A company like google should not have to partner up with a single carrier. You would think they (google) would have some leverage and be able to set the terms of the partnership.

May 31, 2018
Good points. They bought motorola and sold it fo a 10 billion, yes 10 billion dollar loss. Nexus cameras were right there at the top. Lets see :)

May 31, 2018

Not quite a loss, not when you consider that they acquired the somewhat 2000 patents related to mobiles which Motorola owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.