Lost Copy of win8

Anthony Palmer

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015
Hi guys,

I've ordered a new custom laptop, I didn't get an operating system because I had a copy of windows 8 and my activation code. However not only have I lost the disk but the new laptop does not have a dvd drive. I have windows 8 on my current laptop and it has it's own bios enclosed win8 activation code. I am wondering however would I be able to unplug my ssd put it into my new laptop which is completely blank and get it to boot windows? once it's booted I'll run a complete reinstall and add my activation I'm just wondering if the drive will actually boot the new machine? both have similar mobos and i7 chips as well as the same ram.

MMXMonster

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
More than likely it will crash trying to boot. When it was installed the initial time it installed all the drivers pertaining the the system it was in... now it wont find that configuration in the new computer. Also when registering the code with windows microsoft recorded info about the system. Now it wont match and will think its in a different machine thus a non genuine copy.

Anthony Palmer

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015

Sorry don't think I was clear, my old hp laptop has its own copy and activation. But I also have another activation from a copy of win8 I bought just before I bought the hp laptop.

USAFRet

Illustrious

On the current laptop, was the OS preinstalled?
If so, you cannot use that license on new hardware.

Second, as said above, it probably will not boot. It would need a clean install.

Third, even if it did work, now you have a laptop with no drive.

Lastly...a 4 or 8GB drive is maybe $5-10. Easy, cheap fix.

Anthony Palmer

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015

I do have a few spare hdds and the new laptop comes with a blank 500gb hdd so I was going to put that one inside the hp and then put win8 back on it but with it's pre-existing activation.

If I could get the new laptop to boot with the SSD with win8 already on could I not get it to fresh install then use my activation from the copy I bought?

I have no problem buying a small usb drive I was just trying to avoid more complications

USAFRet

Illustrious

If you put the SSD in the new laptop, and are looking at a whole new OS install...whether it boots or not is irrelevant.
You will be wiping out the old install, thereby rendering the old laptop a brick.

But you still need something to install from.....the aforementioned USB stick.

Anthony Palmer

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks for the help everyone. Sat here wondering where I can get a usb with 4gb on asap and my wife passes me one from her bag? did not expect that. Now I'll use the link shown earlier and make installation media on the drive. Thanks a lot guys really appreciate you taking the time to help.

USAFRet

Illustrious

There ya go !