Question Lost internet ABILITY

Dec 4, 2020
My internet ability is gone from my Win10 Dell desktop. I tried a brand new adapter but the internet ability is gone. Tried different ports and cables. One of the adapters lit up indicating it was working but they're not. Troubleshooters don't work. I did see something that said I needed to let Windows control my internet or something like that but I don't know how to change it. AVG antiviris was updated that day and found no issues.

I tried attaching a picture of the screen with all the different windows I've tried that might help but I need a place to host them.

Internet was working perfectly until I opened a PDF from a friend. A very good person. I say that because I don't believe the PDF was maliciously sent.

Please help.

Thank you,
Dan

Dec 4, 2020
So I've run Deep Scans through AVG and and neither has found anything. I saw folks recommending malwarebytes - will it work if I download it to a working computer then transfer it via USB thumb drive?

Maybe it's not malware? What else should I be checking?

Thank you,
dan

Dec 4, 2020
He sent me an old USB drive in the mail. He has no idea what happened and I completely believe him.

I really don't want to wipe the drive. It's used for a CNC and setup is really tough. Hopefully malwarebytes works

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
did you try a power cycle on the router? pull the power plug for a 20 count then plug back in. If it does not help, try pulling the plug on both the modem and router for a 20 count. plug the modem and wait for it to reset. Then plug in the router.

Dec 4, 2020
I have no ability to access the WiFi networks so I can't put in a password or select a network.

I ran windows Full Scan and it did find something:
View: https://imgur.com/a/cAGXKh7

Hopefully you can see the image (I get an error msg on my Android).

If not, it says it PUA:Win32/Conduit. I took the recommended action and then re-ran the Microsoft Defender Offline Scan and it didn't find anything (again). But, still no access to the internet.

There should be a second picture that says I need to talk to my IT dept. I have no IT dept, it's just me.

Thank you,
Dan

Dec 4, 2020
did you try a power cycle on the router? pull the power plug for a 20 count then plug back in. If it does not help, try pulling the plug on both the modem and router for a 20 count. plug the modem and wait for it to reset. Then plug in the router.
Thank you but every other computer and phone sees the WiFi correctly.

Dan

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
I have no ability to access the WiFi networks so I can't put in a password or select a network.

I ran windows Full Scan and it did find something:
View: https://imgur.com/a/cAGXKh7

Hopefully you can see the image (I get an error msg on my Android).

If not, it says it PUA:Win32/Conduit. I took the recommended action and then re-ran the Microsoft Defender Offline Scan and it didn't find anything (again). But, still no access to the internet.

There should be a second picture that says I need to talk to my IT dept. I have no IT dept, it's just me.

Thank you,
Dan

It is adware and should not affect your wifi. see the following for help in getting rid of it

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-remove-conduit,news-18304.html

Have you ever secured your WiFi router to only accept connections from a limited list of devices?
Have you ever limited your WiFi router to limit the number of connected devices/available IP Addresses/Static IPs? Have you added any recently (smart TV/New Cell phone or tablet)?

-Wolf sends

Dec 4, 2020
mejustsayin, thank you. I'll look into the conduit link tomorrow.

Wolfshadow, the router is not locked down. It is something I could look into.

But, restarting the router will not help. The desktop shows no internet at all. I'm a normal computer when you click on the internet icon at the bottom of the screen you get a display across the right 1/3rd of the screen - even if there's no network in range. I no longer get that - I think that's shown in my first photos. I have multiple networks around.

When I click on the icon I get the mini display instead of the 1/3rd screen. I need to figure out how to get the full display back and get control of the adapter. I have a eero puck I could plug in to the desktop ethernet port but I'm afraid it would get locked up too.

Thank you,
Dan

Dec 4, 2020
Is there a way to install malwarebytes on a computer without internet? I can download it to a usb drive on another computer but it needs internet access for the actual install.

Is there another method?

Thank you,
Dan

Is there a way to install malwarebytes on a computer without internet? I can download it to a usb drive on another computer but it needs internet access for the actual install.

Is there another method?

Thank you,
Dan
Unfortunately, I don't think so. If I remember correctly, the first thing it tries to do is call home to get the latest malware definitions. There's certainly no harm in trying,
MalwareBytes home page

-Wolf sends