Lots of People Suing Apple for iPhone 4 Reception

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
ooh no!! apple is making a move on "fixing their stuff". After the update you would not have reception anywhere just because they dont want to admit that its their phone.

vinehoyle

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
if it's built broke, don't buy it obviously. And if you did buy it in good faith, and the company, any company for that matter, refuses to remedy the problem FOC, then they deserve whatever happens to them. While it's a far cry to compare say Toyota and Apple there are similiarities. Well almost. Toyota fixed it's problems FOC..Apple wants to charge you 30 bux for a rubber band lol!! Frankly i'd be deeply offended by this from Apple, but no one has ever been able to prove Apple users have more brains then bux!

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]majorwedgy[/nom]it just me but they are saying that their formula OVER STATES reception, therefore when the phone drops 2 bars which it apparently doesn't have in the first place means that you will in theory see even greater signal degradation when you hold it 'in the wrong way'[/citation]

No. The signal loss when you hold it the "wrong way" is the same. What is less with the "fix" is the indicated amount of signal. So instead of having 4 to 5 bars and dropping to 0 bars when held, it will start with 2 to 3 bars then drop to 0 when held. Apple is hoping that by deflecting their antenna design problem to AT&T's network, the isheep will be forget that they are holding their phones incorrectly and turn there rage to AT&T. Steve knows this will work because Apple built itself on people that have more money then technical knowledge.

The timing is perfect as well. The iphone4 will be coming to verizon soon and users will see better signal. Thus they will attribute that to AT&T sucking. The fact that when they hold their phone in the most common way causes their signal to drop dramatically will be forgotten by most. The isheep that are able to put 2 and 2 together will just have to wait and spend another $200 on the iphone5.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
So is the system. You are allowed to earn a lot of money with a massive product and so others are allowed to "take it back from you" if you fail to deliver on important functionality, (too simplistic I know). Apple needs to deal with this and issues like this and others issues will surface from time to time. Apple needs take note and learn for their next coming releases as becoming an important global player is full of technical and social difficulties. I think Apple should pay close attention to this problems and be very open with their public communications. Mr SJ should say it like it is, it is a design failure.

But I will never say I am satisfied with others failures in order for me to be right. So there is no excuse to argument and bet on others mistakes as it says a lot of who you are. And I don't like either the way SJ addressed this. I am not a fan of him but I respect some Apple products.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]Is it just me, or is anyone else failing to understand how a "software issue" can be caused by physical interactions that aren't interacting with the software?[/citation]
It works both ways. Software can cause hardware to under-perform too.

I'm not saying this is the case, but Apple has to try to fix it before a recall is put into effect costing Apple millions and maybe billions to fix a hardware flaw.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
In the argument of "just return it" vs lawsuit, I can see both sides.

If you return the device you would just be done with it. However, the way that Steve Jobs treats his customers basically begs for a lawsuit.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Is there any update for the man left hand? ;)
Maybe we can patch this... we allready know that the human firmware is bugged ;)
Please Apple, save the world!!!! correct the buggy man!!!!

Having a difference of 2 bars in the display doesn't impact the fact that the user lost the entire signal!

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]applegotmelaid[/nom]Sue for what? Return it and get your money back fools![/citation]
+1000. And get a good phone from Nokia,HTC,and others!

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
This lawsuit will go nowhere.

I work for the government doing vehicle crash investigations. Back when Toyota was in the news for unintended acceleration, I was involved in numerous investigations involving crashes of Toyota vehicles. There were some interesting statistics.

The number of accidents (specifically rear-enders or accidents that would likely be the result of a sticking gas pedal) went up significantly when the news broke. The vast majority of these accidents I investigated turned out to be driver error.

Not only that, but the number of accidents with Toyota vehicles that weren't even affected by the recall (or problem) also went up.

So why is that? Simple. Because people had the idea in the back of their mind there was a problem with their Toyota and made changes to their driving habits. To sum up, if they never heard about the runaway Toyotas they never would have had an accident themselves.

The same thing is happening with the iPhone 4. I've had a 33 iPhone for almost 2 years. I have to think hard to remember any dropped calls I've had they are so rare. Same with my previous phone. If you were to ask me I'd say my 3G and my previous phone were identical for dropped calls even though statistics say they are not.

Likewise, I have never looked at the number of bars on my iPhone 3G. Why would I when I've always been able to make calls?

People with the iPhone 4 are finding it works just as good (usually better) than their previous 3GS. Their reception overall is actually better and dropped calls are fewer.

Then people start posting about the bars dropping when you hold the phone and bridge the antenna and suddenly lots of iPhone 4 users are having problems.

Why? Same thing with Toyota. Once you tell them there's a problem people change their habits and suddenly they start experiencing problems.

I agree there's an issue with the iPhone 4 antenna. But is has been blown out of proprtion (just like the Toyota issue was - in fact I bought a Toyota and still advised people to purchase a Toyota). If Apple had changed the scaling of the bars from the beginning all people would be saying is "don't bridge the antenna gap or you might lose 1 or 2 bars" instead of saying "bridge the antenna gap and you lose all your reception".

How many iPhones have been sold? 1.7 million? Considering the number sold, the people complaining still represent a very small percentage of the total.

As is so typical, it's always the whiners that make so much noise. How about having a discussion about the 1.69999 million iPhone 4 users that aren't experiencing problems?

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]Is it just me, or is anyone else failing to understand how a "software issue" can be caused by physical interactions that aren't interacting with the software?[/citation]

Hardware issue is remedied by buying a case or using a Livestrong wristband. Software issue (will) be remedied by an update coming out in a few weeks, dramatically increasing bars accuracy and hopefully other things too.

crystal_tech

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
prob about return is the fact that your pushed into a 2 year contract with att. and by returning the phone you have to pay the termination fees, or another fee to activate a new phone. Also prob have to pay a restocking fee, shipping fee, and who else knows that's shown in the contract. so by suing in a class action, users of the iphone 4 want the prob fixed and get a replacement or money back without having to pay the fees.

Sythix

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
And we watch our beloved free market economy burn. The principles of capitalism include that when a business produces faulty products people will stop buying their products and force them to make quality ones. Granting lawsuits goes heavily against this principle. You bought an iphone knowing that most things at launch are buggy and knowing that apple doesn't care about customers. Now you're complaining about your reception and threatening to sue, instead of suing, don't buy apple products. Otherwise you're a hypocrite.

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
The company said it was 'stunned' to discover the formula it uses to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong.

Im sure they were. The mislead people and it backfired. I guess they didnt want that to come up in court.

Apple is such an honest company.
/sarcasm off

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Now I can say for sure I don't understand the logics of the iZombie way of thinking.

If you buy a product and find it to be stupid/broken/useless do you either return it and get your money back or do you sue someone?

Maybe it's because the mind of the iZombie panics when an Apple product doesn't live up to the expectations of being shiny and... what exactly are iPhones good at again?

In general, what is it that the iZombies see which I obviously don't in Apple products?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'Is it just me, or is anyone else failing to understand how a "software issue" can be caused by physical interactions that aren't interacting with the software?'

If you press the 'call' button on a phone, and the software decides to switch the phone off, is it a software or a hardware error?

Clearly - a software error.

Removing the button OR fixing the software would fix this problem (yet clearly removing the button would be ridiculous).

That proves that just because a problem is caused by interacting with the hardware in some way - doesn't mean that the problem is with the hardware. The software might be responding in the wrong way.

The antenna of a phone is CLEARLY interacting with the software, or the software wouldn't be able to display bars at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS