Lots of People Suing Apple for iPhone 4 Reception

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
ericburnby

Thanks to take the time and provide actual data to this discussion. This is the best use of this posts, to stay better informed from people better informed than me and not just speculation and biased preferences. I am glad I returned and read your post.

DAK_59

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Apple and their fans keep blaming their connectivity problems on AT&T. I use AT&T (have since 1995) and I don't have the problems that my friends with iPhones have. My Nokia rarely drops calls. Same with my wife's Pantech, my son's Samsung, my other son's LG and my daughter's Motorola. If you don't like you iPhone, return it. You can't win since AT&T and Apple allow you to return it within 30 days for no penalty.

G

Whats the real problem?
Is it about the BARS or RECEPTION?
When you use the phone your call goes away or only your BAR????

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]steang[/nom]Whats the real problem?Is it about the BARS or RECEPTION?When you use the phone your call goes away or only your BAR????[/citation]

From what I have read, the actual reception drops.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"we were 'stunned' to see that our hack to make it look like the crappy AT&T network we force you to use was actually decent, has come undone!"

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]jakemo136[/nom]Sooo.... the part I don't understand is this: If a product has that many issues right out of the box, wouldn't any normal person simply RETURN IT!? Rather than filing a class action lawsuit? It seems to me that if all these people that were having issues with their phones simply returned them, costing Apple profits, that would get the message across a lot clearer than simply sitting and whining, while Apple laughs all the way to the bank....[/citation]
because of the contract. they have to keep it if they used something like 30 minutes of talk time or something like that... like, not enough to make up your mind. the thing is, does the phone actually drop calls? check anantech.com for the full review of the phone and the reception issue. people are idiots and the phone works fine... its just a matter of counting the "bars" stop looking at your bars and make the /$%/$ phone call!

G

How many iPhones have been sold? 1.7 million? Considering the number sold, the people complaining still represent a very small percentage of the total.

As is so typical, it's always the whiners that make so much noise. How about having a discussion about the 1.69999 million iPhone 4 users that aren't experiencing problems?
@ericburnby
You need to take into consideration that not all people prefer complaining. I, for one, rather return it than lodge a complain or be part of a lawsuit. The reason is, I don't have much time in my hand to spare for trifling matter like this. And there are a lot of phone out there to choose from. Just because there aren't many complain being lodged in doesn't necessarily mean the problem is not as big as being portrayed. Remember, iphone isn't the only smart phone in the market.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
maybe this is the reason why the guy left the phone in a club, his phone calls got dropped to many times, lol. how did apple did not see this problem and fix it before puting this product on the market?

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Apple is "stunned" to see that it got it's formula wrong. I remember being stunned when I messed up subtraction in 2nd grade. Apparently Apple is no better.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]maybe this is the reason why the guy left the phone in a club, his phone calls got dropped to many times, lol. how did apple did not see this problem and fix it before puting this product on the market?[/citation]

I would imagine it was tested under ideal conditions. If you're standing next to a cell tower, your hand on the antenna probably doesn't matter because the signal is so strong already. Get it out in the real world though and it's a different story.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Now... Let's wait for someone to discover that the "bad algorithm" was their solution to "crap coverage on 3Gs" that "didn't quite worked out" :)))

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Definition of 'lots' according to Tomshardware. 5 people and another 11 means lots. Out of 2 million Iphone 4s sold, 16 people are suing. That's exactly 0.08%.[/citation]

Where do you get 16? I can't find any info on the number of people involved.

G

In my area ATT's signal is bad no matter the brand of phone.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
@ Beayn

'@watha do you ever post on non-apple related articles?'

I tend to find the most idiotic people hating apple on apple articles, that's why I post on those mostly.

'Abrahm is exactly right, pressing the button sends a message to the OS, touching the antenna does not'

Well obviously it does. If it didn't, the software wouldn't change at all - and it does, it shows less bars. You're now claiming that the software is psychic?

'How is that a software issue?'

Do you not understand that software could be displaying fewer or greater number of bars when responding to the aerial being touched?

'Apple said their formula shows a different signal strength than it actually is and they're putting out a fix for it, but that doesn't resolve the fact that when you touch the antenna, the signal strength changes.'

No, the REPORTED signal strength coming from the SOFTWARE changes. I think their whole point is that it only happens if your signal was weak in the first place - and the software only lets you know about that when the aerial is touched.

You miss the whole point of my post anyway. My point was that JUST BECAUSE something is TRIGGERED by hardware DOESN'T NECESSARILY make it a hardware fault.

It's an obvious fact. Don't hate ;-)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'Whats the real problem?Is it about the BARS or RECEPTION?When you use the phone your call goes away or only your BAR????'

Nobody has any evidence to confirm this either way.

It could easily be the case that the software believing it has less signal than it really does could cause the call to be dropped. For example, if the phone believes that the signal is now non-existant, the software probably ends the call. We wont know until the software fix from Apple whether it was in fact JUST a software issue, or a Hardware AND a software issue.

The only thing we know for sure at the moment is that it's a software issue.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'Pressing a button sends a signal to the operating system that the button was pressed, and the event is passed on to the software that is listening for it. There is no signal sent to the software that the antenna was touched'

If there was no differentiation between the signals sent to the software when the aerial is touched, moved, broken, changes location etc, then there would be no signal bars whatsoever - they would never change.

The aerial, one way or another, continually reports back to the software on the signal strength. It is THAT signal which changes when the aerial is touched. The software MISINTERPRETS the messages which are sent when the aerial is touched.

If you prevent the software responding improperly to that change in signal, you prevent the problem (assuming that the problem is JUST software related). The problem, may of course, be Hardware related too.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]It says in the beginning, 5 people and 11 with that law firm.[citation]

Ya, you're right. 16 people is a tiny proportion of the overall number of people who bought the iPhone[/citation]

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]ausch30[/nom]I've been scratching my head ever since I heard of the whole lawsuit thing, there is a 30day return policy. If you're unhappy with the product, return it. If you bought a product from Target that you were unhappy with would you sue them? This whole thing just make no sense.[/citation]

Simply lawyer trolling... 11 people part of the class action suit?!?! here we go with the "ambulance chasers"...

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]'Pressing a button sends a signal to the operating system that the button was pressed, and the event is passed on to the software that is listening for it. There is no signal sent to the software that the antenna was touched'If there was no differentiation between the signals sent to the software when the aerial is touched, moved, broken, changes location etc, then there would be no signal bars whatsoever - they would never change.The aerial, one way or another, continually reports back to the software on the signal strength. It is THAT signal which changes when the aerial is touched. The software MISINTERPRETS the messages which are sent when the aerial is touched.If you prevent the software responding improperly to that change in signal, you prevent the problem (assuming that the problem is JUST software related). The problem, may of course, be Hardware related too.[/citation]

If you truly don't understand the technical details occurring underneath the surface, don't talk about them like you do. There is no "Antenna touched" signal sent to the software when the antenna is touched. The software interacts with and displays the antenna signal, it has absolutely no knowledge or care if the antenna is touched. The signal drops when the antenna is touched because the signal is being killed. Not by the software, but most likely by a short that is created when it is touched.

Also if you read, the software "bug" was OVER representing available signal, not under representing.

Status
Not open for further replies.