Loud static/distortion blaring from left speaker - until I hit the receiver. PLEASE HELP!

sierra419

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
This never use to happen before. I just recently moved but I was very careful when I was moving my home theater equipment. I cant imagine anything being damaged in the move. I took everything out of the boxes they were packed in and hooked it all together like I've done several times before. Now when I turn on my receiver I get this very loud static blaring from my left floor standing speaker. It's heart attack inducingly loud. You can hear it throughout the entire house and even outside very loudly. It doesn't stop unless I either turn the receiver off (obviously) or open handed hit the metal part of the receiver. It then pops very loudly, the receiver restarts, and everything works as if nothing was wrong for a while before happening again. It has to be an electrical problem in the channel but I don't know how to diagnose it. You have no idea how annoying and terrifying it is to be watching Doc Mcstuffins with your 2 year old and have this thing go off.

Receiver is a Pioneer VSX-811S

*UPDATED* 9/29/14 - The problem is channel specific, not a speaker issue. Banana plugs didnt help (didnt think they would) but at least I can rule out external short circuit from frayed copper. I'm still having this problem. Please help.

sierra419

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I know this thread is old but I'm still having the same problem. The closest technician is 45 minutes away and charges $50 just to look at the receiver. That doesn't include parts and labor. I'm a DIY guy and I'd rather do it myself. I bought the banana plugs but they didnt work. The only thing I can do is plug my front left and right speakers into the "B" section of my receiver. Its really annoying only having stereo, but at least I have sound and at least I figured narrowed it down to the issue being with the reciever and not the speaker. I also noticed that my receiver regularly shuts itself off and then back on on a regular basis. I'm positive this has something to do with the main issue. Any help would be great....

The receiver has a problem for sure. It is a little odd that you are not getting the noise when you use the B terminals in stereo. Do you get the noise when you use the A terminals in stereo? The fact that the receiver is going into protection may indicate bad circuit board traces.
You would have to be comfortable getting inside the receiver and to the bottom of the PC boards. This can be a job and a half just to get apart. Then you have to see if there are any minute cracks on the board. Could be a bad relay too. You can run the receiver with a junk speaker to hear the noise and tap the inside to pin it down.

sierra419

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
For anyone out there scouring the internet for solutions - I ended up buying a new, modern receiver. This receiver was old but it was hard to get rid of because it was so good. I'm pretty happy with what I have now.