Low Budget Lappy for Mom?

elgiov

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Hello everybody!
How are you doing? Hope you're fine.
I am trying to find a very cheap laptop for my mother, as she barely uses it and we don't have that much of a budget.
I've been looking around in lappylist.com, but can't seem to find a good option.
She will use it for mainstream web browsing, reading pdfs, and that type of basic stuff.
Could you guys please give us some advice on where should we put our eyes on?
Thank you very much!

Solution
Look for a refurbished Lenovo T410 or T420 with a ssd.
The ssd is the key to snappy performance.
Performance is excellent with a very good keyboard.
Should cost about $200.
Look at ebay or newegg.
Here is an example.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-LENOVO-THINKPAD-T410-LAPTOP-WINDOWS-10-DVDRW-Core-i5-2-4Ghz-120GB-SSD-4GB-HD-/161307671811?hash=item258eafbd03:g:AA8AAOSwzaJYBYMO
Many in this class are units that have come off lease and are factory refurbished.

For any unit you think might be good, research it on a review site like notebook review.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
on what budget, will be moved alot or will work on battery alot?

any weight in mind if moved alot?

size of screen?

what have you seen and find interesting?

a celeron with 4 gbs of ram on a 14" screen probably will make her happy

elgiov

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

Yes, she doesn't want it to be too heavy. Although she won't be carrying it that much, but she'll have it on her lap a lot.
About the size, 14" will do perfectly.
I've not seen anything intresting so far, thats why I came to you guys :).
Do you think a celeron will make the trick here? She won't need a very quick response machine, but I don't want her to have something slow, as she used to have.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
the celeron is pretty much the only choice because find a a a8 amd or a a10 is hard, what will give her more speed is a ssd, so think of it as a upgrade in the future, on cheap laptops the ram could come soldered

most of the models in the celeron price range are 2 kilograms in weight with a 4 hours battery more or less, add the weight of the charger and you have a solid number there, less weight will be necessary to consider a tablet, but the durability o a tablet, well, i won't buy another windows tablet

a new clean install on a fast hard disk and a decent celeron on 4 gbs of ram will be very decent, more, you need to search for a ssd laptop, perhaps a used lenovo t450 or similar

you didn't said your budget and what have you seen

geofelt

Distinguished
Look for a refurbished Lenovo T410 or T420 with a ssd.
The ssd is the key to snappy performance.
Performance is excellent with a very good keyboard.
Should cost about $200.
Look at ebay or newegg.
Here is an example.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-LENOVO-THINKPAD-T410-LAPTOP-WINDOWS-10-DVDRW-Core-i5-2-4Ghz-120GB-SSD-4GB-HD-/161307671811?hash=item258eafbd03:g:AA8AAOSwzaJYBYMO
Many in this class are units that have come off lease and are factory refurbished.

For any unit you think might be good, research it on a review site like notebook review.

Solution