Low-resource, high-protection... what do YOU suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Alright guys. I want you to tell me straight up what YOU think the best security tool is. It does not have to be free, it can be any price.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and it works great, I also have avast! along with that

Now I hear Kaspersky and Bit Defender are the best, but I don't need a whole virtual keyboard and all that, I want a LOW RESOURCE program

So what do YOU suggest? I want a nice polished interface, so please don't suggest SUPER AntiSpyware or some junk like that

Avira seems to use a lot of resources if Im not mistaken but yeah

Shoot for it ladies

Solution
Maybe, but antivirus is a great idea. Especially when they are free. Just because you never got a virus does not mean you won't. Kind of like if you fall asleep at the wheel of your car 100 times and don't wreck does not mean that on time 101 you won't wreck.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
AVG does justice for me, as well as NOD32. Between the two, NOD32 does a better job with resources, taking up a max of 21MB during a full scan. AVG on the other hand has been known to double that, sometimes. Both are very reliable and can be trusted.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I'm not a big Anti-Virus fan in general as I find it more annoying than useful however I've switched from AVG to Avast within the last year. It gives you options for various shield if you want as well(I couldn't care less). I know a few others using Avast now as well and their Talk like a pirate day skin/theme made me smile and I'm still using it.

I'm imaging you know this if you're smart enough to be asking about Anti-virus's and their overhead but the best protection is to not click on/go anywhere you're not familiar with on a web page. In other words none of the old surfing/link exploring wandering around, cleaned hundreds but never got a virus personally.

SupahDonkeh

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
I use bitdefender, and its the best ive ever used. Theres no need to disable it while playing games, its so small, lots of options like disabling auto update etc, and its so simple. I also love the way that it takes no ***. Unlike kaspersky which I have used before, if a virus is detected, its deleted by the time the pop up is fully out of the start bar. And if you come across a site that supposedly has virus's it blocks you from going on it, and theres no way you can get onto it apart from uninstalling it. I love it, I think you will too.

I'd recommend getting spybot search and destroy too, best free anti spyware, nice and small, and very simple and fast.

Peace!

EDIT : I'd also recommend AVG free if you really want a free one, without question its the best free one you can get.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Personally, hate cloud apps in general. My personal favorite av is now avast. Used to be an AVG fan, but a tech buddy of mine got me hooked on using Avast, and honestly, it's proven to be great. According to reviews I've seen, it detects about 75% of the malware thrown at it.

AndySun

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Hmm, I just use avast in conjunction with SUPERAntispyware, the latter did sound suspicious to me but after having read a few reviews it turned out to be legit.

Peskoly

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Avira is a pretty good anti virus program that uses active scanning in the backround to always look for viruses. Also has a good flexible firewall. Scanning takes awhile but its because it is very very thorough. It found at least 3 viruses that previously werent found when i scanned with AVG. Also malwarebytes is a good free scanner.

The only thing with avira is that the backround scanning does take up a bit of resources but you can turn it off and it will work just as good

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
I would also say even though you want low resource, I would suggest a firewall program. Something like pc tools firewall plus, or zonealarm, or similar product. I say this because I recently dealt with someone who's machine contracted "Thinkpoint" a rogue antivirus software. Avast was installed on the machine in question, and the Thinkpoint program blew right past it. Very dangerous program. Even started in safe mode and attempted to block malware bytes from removing it. Removed with SuperAntiSpyware portable, but then windows started, and there was no start menu.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Agreed.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Maybe, but antivirus is a great idea. Especially when they are free. Just because you never got a virus does not mean you won't. Kind of like if you fall asleep at the wheel of your car 100 times and don't wreck does not mean that on time 101 you won't wreck.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.