Question Lower Fan Speed HP Omen 15

Sep 29, 2020
As the title says, I'd like to find a way to consistently get good performance while lowering the fan speed. Using the Omen Command Center, I can get good FPS (~100) for a minute or so in balanced mode, however it soon drops to the 20-30 FPS range. Even when running at 100 FPS in balanced mode, the temp never gets above 70 C (fans on the lowest setting). The only way I've found to fix this is to briefly switch it to performance mode then back to balanced mode. Given the frequency with which this occurs, it can be very disruptive while gaming.

I've tried using Throttlestop and checking both the "disable turbo" and "speed shift epp" options (which I saw worked for another person in a post on the HP forums), however I still get frequent FPS drops when in balanced mode on the Omen Command Center. I even tried undervolting the CPU in Throttlestop, however I read somewhere that this has no effect on the newer HP Omen laptops. The only way I can consistently get good FPS is to keep it in performance mode, however the fans ramp up to max even when I set them to manual control. This is unnecessary, as the temp rarely gets above 80 C and usually stays in the 60s. Is there any other way to drop the fan speed, or to ensure I don't get FPS drops when in balanced mode?

For reference, this is a brand new laptop with an i7-10750 and GeForce RTX 2060.

Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Laptop Tech Support 1
Burhor Laptop Tech Support 0
J Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1