Question Lower Fan Speed HP Omen 15

Sep 29, 2020
As the title says, I'd like to find a way to consistently get good performance while lowering the fan speed. Using the Omen Command Center, I can get good FPS (~100) for a minute or so in balanced mode, however it soon drops to the 20-30 FPS range. Even when running at 100 FPS in balanced mode, the temp never gets above 70 C (fans on the lowest setting). The only way I've found to fix this is to briefly switch it to performance mode then back to balanced mode. Given the frequency with which this occurs, it can be very disruptive while gaming.

I've tried using Throttlestop and checking both the "disable turbo" and "speed shift epp" options (which I saw worked for another person in a post on the HP forums), however I still get frequent FPS drops when in balanced mode on the Omen Command Center. I even tried undervolting the CPU in Throttlestop, however I read somewhere that this has no effect on the newer HP Omen laptops. The only way I can consistently get good FPS is to keep it in performance mode, however the fans ramp up to max even when I set them to manual control. This is unnecessary, as the temp rarely gets above 80 C and usually stays in the 60s. Is there any other way to drop the fan speed, or to ensure I don't get FPS drops when in balanced mode?

For reference, this is a brand new laptop with an i7-10750 and GeForce RTX 2060.

Thanks!

Nov 24, 2020
I don’t have that same problem and I have the same computer but my frames drop to 30 every time I unplug my computer. I’m guessing that won’t help but I’m not too sure. I know there is a way to drop fan speed but I’m not sure how. You might need to update HP Omen command center

Dec 29, 2020
As the title says, I'd like to find a way to consistently get good performance while lowering the fan speed. Using the Omen Command Center, I can get good FPS (~100) for a minute or so in balanced mode, however it soon drops to the 20-30 FPS range. Even when running at 100 FPS in balanced mode, the temp never gets above 70 C (fans on the lowest setting). The only way I've found to fix this is to briefly switch it to performance mode then back to balanced mode. Given the frequency with which this occurs, it can be very disruptive while gaming.

I've tried using Throttlestop and checking both the "disable turbo" and "speed shift epp" options (which I saw worked for another person in a post on the HP forums), however I still get frequent FPS drops when in balanced mode on the Omen Command Center. I even tried undervolting the CPU in Throttlestop, however I read somewhere that this has no effect on the newer HP Omen laptops. The only way I can consistently get good FPS is to keep it in performance mode, however the fans ramp up to max even when I set them to manual control. This is unnecessary, as the temp rarely gets above 80 C and usually stays in the 60s. Is there any other way to drop the fan speed, or to ensure I don't get FPS drops when in balanced mode?

For reference, this is a brand new laptop with an i7-10750 and GeForce RTX 2060.

Thanks!

Hey man I have the exact same laptop and I'm having the same issue. I haven't found a fix yet but I wanted to ask you if you're getting 0.78GHz CPU speed in task manager when the fps drops start. That's what's happening to me. Can't be of any help but it's good to know there are others with the same problem. -I guess it means there'll be a fix for it soon.

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008

Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm a little bit late to the game, as I'm normally on Tom's Hardware forum. Like others, I've a similar HP Omen laptop.

The issue you are experiencing is mostly to do with Command Centre, and the settings it applies when in the different modes.

The idea behind 'Performance mode' is that it lifts all CPU restrictions off in terms of power limitations, to allow the CPU to get up to full pace. In this mode the PL1/PL2 (which is the amount of wattage the CPU draws at a given clockspeed) these limitations are gone, so the CPU will run at full whack, produce bucket loads of heat, have high temps (up in the mid 90's and higher). Whilst you can get amazing performance, you can hardly hear anything over the fan noise.

In balanced mode, Command centre applies PL1/PL2. These are typically the max power draw the CPU can use. PL1 is often the TDP of the CPU (my i7 9750h is 45w, as is yours). So if you have your CPU running at 4ghz (all core boost) it will want more then the PL1 will provide. The PL2 (which is often higher than TDP) then switches into effect to allow the CPU to boost, but more often than not will cause throttling. CPU dials back clockspeed to fit within the power budget.

When you mix Command centre and Throttlestop together it can get a bit confusing with all the settings.

The best thing to do is set Command Centre to performance (for gaming), then use TS to reduce voltage, decrease temps and have your CPU boost for longer, and with less fluctuation.

There are a number of ways to achieve that.

The way I do it is like this: I have 3 settings in TS. Fixed clocks with no boost.

1. 3.2ghz with temps approx 65-72c when gaming on BF V (A note on that - no drops in sustained FPS for BF V with CPU at 3.2 rather than full all core boost 4ghz).
  2. 3.6ghz with temps approx 72-80c.
  3. 4ghz with temps approx 75-90c.
Regardless of what CPU speed I choose, my GPU never goes more than 70c, and typically sits for hour gaming sessions at 67-68c, with boost clocks of 1750-1800 (GTX1660ti mobile - not Max Q)

These temps are with a -180mv undervolt on CPU, -130mv on Cache, -50mv.

By doing it this way, I can switch the profile depending on what I'm doing.

Another thing to look at when using TS is the speedshift. A lot get confused with this setting. If you set it low, lets say at 60, it forces the CPU to run close to it's max clocks (or what you set manually) all of the time. If you set speedshift at lets say 128. then the CPU will dynamically adjust clockspeed as and when it's needed. Setting speedshift to a higher number like 200+ means the CPU will invariably downclock as much as it can (it thinks it's in power saving mode).

So if you fix your clocks like I have, it's often better to have speedshift at a low value.

In terms of fan speed/noise, there's not much that can be done. Unless when your in Command centre and it specifically gives you the option to have manual fan settings, then you're out of luck.

All you can do is manage voltage/heat/temps as best you can to reduce the fan noise. When running at 3.2ghz my fans are just about audible. 3.6 and it's more prounced. 4ghz and its loud. I combat this a little with my undervolting, but also a good laptop cooler can really help too.

Well, I'm bored with my own ramblings here haha, and I'm sure you are too :)

Good luck.

edit: For 10th gen Intel procs, rumour has it that TS (undervolting) doesn't work. You can check this very easily by running HWMon beside TS (after you've applied an undervolt) and look at the voltages in HWMon. It will confirm very quickly whether the undervolt works. Different manufacturers allow CPU undervolting, and it's my understanding that HP do too.

However, it' only takes a bios update to stop that. So, don't update any bios just yet, specially if your undervolt does work on your I7.

Last edited: