Lower ONLY the speakers volume, keep the bass volume.

GeR George

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
An important thing to mention would be that I'm not much of an expert when it comes to audio stuff, so I'm not very familiar with the terminology and the hardware aspect.
What I'm trying to do is lowering the volume in my speakers, but keeping it high in the subwoofer. When the volume is at ~20% the speakers sound fine but the subwoofer isn't really "woofing" much and there's a lot of air coming out of it (I don't know how else to put it). When the volume is at 50%, the subwoofer finally starts shaking my desk, but then the speakers are way too loud. I do have a separate knob for bass on the subwoofer but it doesn't have the same effect as the volume knob, which gives the real "power" (in the examples above, the bass was at maximum).
Now, would it be possible to keep the volume high (50% and more) so that the bass is strong, but lower the volume in the speakers? I could, with proper guidance, open the subwoofer and modify it if that's necessary.
My model: Genius SW-HF2.1 1205.

if the source of audio is from the pc or other device with a tuneable eq.... just use an equalizer. lower treble and mids keeping them flat at 0 or perhaps below 0 but keep bass higher. output will remain high for bass while output for other frequencies will be low.

GeR George

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015

Nice idea, thanks. I don't have a lot of control over frequencies but I have set everything over 120 (250, 500, 1k ... 16k) at about -5db and 30/60 at +~18db. It works surprisingly well, but there's a weird effect where, for example in a portion of a song where there is no bass the volume is fine but when there is bass, the volume of everything else is lowered until the bass stops. I guess it's a software thing so I'll probably try with some third party equalizers. Thanks again!

you might want to try less extreme eq settings.. but it is certainly worth a try before getting a hardware knob. a hardware knob of course as AA suggested WILL work but i figured you might want to try a free and easy solution before doing some custom wiring and such.

@av, he lists his speakers in the first post. read it.

GeR George

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015

extreme is what i'm going for :D it's not even that bad, until I get the knob attached, it's a good solution