LulzSec Releases Over 62,000 Hacked Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Really! Who would be stupid enough to hand over MORE information, to see if your information had been leaked.

Real men find where the text file is, download it and search it the old fashioned way. That's what I did, and thank God, my emails are not in that list.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
LulzSec is doing everyone a favor by showing the world that many popular websites are not as secure as they should be and in the end will be more secure due to these types of attacks.

G

@RipperjackAU

and while i completely agree with you..... but for the fact that the user is not adding information, they are merely looking up information, similar to your search functionality, now if gizmodo was interrogating your cookies and other such like while your running this script then thats a different matter

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]RipperjackAU[/nom]Really! Who would be stupid enough to hand over MORE information, to see if your information had been leaked.Real men find where the text file is, download it and search it the old fashioned way. That's what I did, and thank God, my emails are not in that list.[/citation]

It's just an email address buddy. Your not giving them your password.

What I do, is make incredibly long passwords, mixing it up with numbers and symbols, every website uses a different password, and I have multiple email accounts so if one is comprised, I still have my other ones. Also, don't save your password list on your pc. I keep mine printed and backed up on a thumbdrive, which never leaves my pc. My main email account is over 20 digits long. And I change my passwords a lot. Just in case. Also, I never respond to any emails unless I know I sent it. Delete everything right to the spam folder. I only use my main email address as a way to change passwords and thats it. If I want to communicate with someone I have a different email address for that.
I know, i'm paranoid, but better safe then sorry. Doesn't mean i'm never gonna get my stuff hacked, it's possible, but at least i'm not making it to easy for them.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]LulzSec is doing everyone a favor by showing the world that many popular websites are not as secure as they should be and in the end will be more secure due to these types of attacks.[/citation]

Oh yeah, great favor, steal passwords, then give them to the public.....
I understand why they do it, but why release the passwords?

a sandwhich

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]It's just an email address buddy. Your not giving them your password. What I do, is make incredibly long passwords, mixing it up with numbers and symbols, every website uses a different password, and I have multiple email accounts so if one is comprised, I still have my other ones. [/citation]
Lol yeah, I use 30 character passwords when I can and I have five email accounts for the same reason.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]AlmostThere[/nom]@RipperjackAUand while i completely agree with you..... but for the fact that the user is not adding information, they are merely looking up information, similar to your search functionality, now if gizmodo was interrogating your cookies and other such like while your running this script then thats a different matter[/citation]

my email is posted everywhere, the worst that will happen is i get more spam.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I tried it using 2 different e-mail addresses.

Both are clear.

All it does is check a known list of hacked e-mails address for the one you enter in the box. That's it.

irtehyar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]LulzSec is doing everyone a favor by showing the world that many popular websites are not as secure as they should be and in the end will be more secure due to these types of attacks.[/citation]

Indeed. And a punch in the face will certainly toughen you up. Do you want one?

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Why are companies stupid enough to store plaintext passwords?

Even the most basic hashing algorithms are irreversible through reasonable means and take comparatively zero computational power. It seems silly anyone would deliberately not implement such a simple security measure.

Sure, it does nothing for the "personal" information, but it at least secures passwords, which are arguably a lot more important than information you can get from any phonebook.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]All those e-mail accounts and ungodly long passwords (and encryption) become useless when they keylog you lol.[/citation]

It's called a security suite. Get one.. LOL. JP
Like I said before, it's not a sure thing, but better then using "12345" as a password, and most keyloggers are easy to spot to a decent security program. I use multiple programs, and if I even think my system is comprimised, I reload it. Also, I don't leave it on if I'm not on it, and I don't let other people use it unless its in a VM. Keep your stuff secure and your chances of getting hacked is far less. But your right, not impossible. Again, i'm not gonna make it easy on them.

raurelian

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Hey, if you send me your emails, passwords, security questions/answers, I would be more than glad to check to see if it hasn't been compromised. I can check your details against the databases of the LulzSec, Anon and the groups that hacked all the game companies! Think about it! A unique opportunity - and it`s all for free!

My email is: iWouldneverstealyourids@safestdomainpossible.ru.cn.hk

Special offer: while I check if your e-mail was compromised, I can also check if your payment details (credit card no., pin. no) have been compromised too - all this for free!!

Apply now and I can also guarantee that you will not get 1000 times more SPAM in your mailboxes!

Your`s truly,
Mr. Steve McSafe Hackinton

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
That's the kind of convoluted thinking that produces these kinds of hacks. All they need to do is hack a single password to make their point, not 62000 of them. If that was really their goal they would find out who's in charge at the site they hack and find their password.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]It's just an email address buddy. Your not giving them your password. What I do, is make incredibly long passwords, mixing it up with numbers and symbols, every website uses a different password, and I have multiple email accounts so if one is comprised, I still have my other ones. Also, don't save your password list on your pc. I keep mine printed and backed up on a thumbdrive, which never leaves my pc. My main email account is over 20 digits long. And I change my passwords a lot. Just in case. Also, I never respond to any emails unless I know I sent it. Delete everything right to the spam folder. I only use my main email address as a way to change passwords and thats it. If I want to communicate with someone I have a different email address for that. I know, i'm paranoid, but better safe then sorry. Doesn't mean i'm never gonna get my stuff hacked, it's possible, but at least i'm not making it to easy for them.[/citation]

I'd stop using the net before I did all that crap.

pythonic13

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
[citation][nom]raurelian[/nom]Hey, if you send me your emails, passwords, security questions/answers, I would be more than glad to check to see if it hasn't been compromised. I can check your details against the databases of the LulzSec, Anon and the groups that hacked all the game companies! Think about it! A unique opportunity - and it`s all for free!My email is: iWouldneverstealyourids@safestdomainpossible.ru.cn.hkSpecial offer: while I check if your e-mail was compromised, I can also check if your payment details (credit card no., pin. no) have been compromised too - all this for free!!Apply now and I can also guarantee that you will not get 1000 times more SPAM in your mailboxes!Your`s truly,Mr. Steve McSafe Hackinton[/citation]

seems legit

Status
Not open for further replies.