LulzSec Teen Bailed Out, Had 750,000 Records

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Am I missing what the bail was set at?

I agree if he's 18, be prepared to do your time. Most likely Scotland Yard, MI6, FBI, NSA or CIA will interject their opinions for a shorter bail and he'll end up working for the very people he was opposed too.

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
ikyung 08/01/2011 10:25 PM

The real surprise I got from this was a dell laptop was able to run 40 different programs simultaneously.

I highly doubt the 16 VMs referenced were actually being run concurrently on a laptop. He probably just had 16 available.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]ithurtswhenipee[/nom]They are saying he was just a script-kiddie. BTW, 5.5 Mbps not high speed? Granted it is not my 16 Mbps comcast connection, but it is certainly faster then most base level DSL connections.[/citation]
5.5 is not high speed. The AVERAGE speed in the UK is 10.66Mbps (the US average is 11.36Mbps).

On the topic of the article, he doesnt sound like a hacker at all from anything shown. Anybody that is remotely tech savvy has used what he has used, and if you are a multitasker you will have boatloads of programs open. I mean, I have 20 tabs, steam, fraps, WMP, and a variety of other things running pretty much constantly... and I have no clue how to hack.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
i think the problem is that there are idiots in the police (i know thats not fair i recon most are)

that think a process is a program

i have 90 processes open at the mo on win7 and dont have a whole lot running that is visible

this guy at most seems to be a script kiddie

whats wrong with vm's, there a good way to check programs out without infecting pc with viruses and filling it up with junk

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Genny[/nom]I highly doubt the 16 VMs referenced were actually being run concurrently on a laptop. He probably just had 16 available.[/citation]
I wasn't talking about the VMs. It says in the article there was 40 unspecified programs running in the background. Also, I was being sarcastic lol. Hackers don't use dell..

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Also, like Shanky said, this guy was running VM's on unencrypted hard drives, which doesnt mean jack. If this kid is good, he *does* have encrypted hard drives that will take them a while to figure out. But if he doesn't then it IS possible that he was a sympathizer and was just collecting hacked documents that are already out on the internets. Only after a *REAL* complete scrubdown of his IP and hard drive will tell.....[/citation]
Wouldn't his IP adress be a private one that wouldn't be possible to track? (ex. 10.0.0.0, 172.16.0.0 or 192.168.0.0) I thought ISPs didn't have a certain IP adress for customers and instead used (I believe they're called) dynamic IP adresses. Any clarification anyone?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ithurtswhenipee[/nom]They are saying he was just a script-kiddie. BTW, 5.5 Mbps not high speed? Granted it is not my 16 Mbps comcast connection, but it is certainly faster then most base level DSL connections.[/citation]

if you want to take a more worldly view, America has the SLOWEST high speed internet in the world (developed world). some countries, what we see as our fastest interent is their standard 30$ a month plan.

japan specifically has 100mbit or mb i forget which, up and down for 29$ a month,

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]I'm guessing you two live in either the US or Australia. In any other part of the developed world 5.5 Mbps probably wouldn't be considered "high-speed broadband".[/citation]
5.5mbps is more than adequate to manage a botnet system for a DDoS....

[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Wouldn't his IP adress be a private one that wouldn't be possible to track? (ex. 10.0.0.0, 172.16.0.0 or 192.168.0.0) I thought ISPs didn't have a certain IP adress for customers and instead used (I believe they're called) dynamic IP adresses. Any clarification anyone?[/citation]
192.168.x.x is an internal IP address. Your understanding here is a bit skewed. ISPs can use either Static or Dynamic IP's depending on their particular system configuration. MY local DSL service uses Static IPs while the local Cable and FiOS services use Dynamic IP's unless you specifically request a Static IP or have a commercial internet account. Both Static and Dynamic IP's can be tracked, but a Dynamic IP requires the IP to be leased for a predetermined period of time after which the lease has to be renewed. A cable, DSL or FiOS modem can maintain a Dynamic IP as long as the connection/lease is maintained. A Dynamic IP typically only changes when a connection is re-established. Whether the IP is Dynamic or Static, it can be traced back to the modem it's assigned to.

[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]5.5 is not high speed. The AVERAGE speed in the UK is 10.66Mbps (the US average is 11.36Mbps).On the topic of the article, he doesnt sound like a hacker at all from anything shown. Anybody that is remotely tech savvy has used what he has used, and if you are a multitasker you will have boatloads of programs open. I mean, I have 20 tabs, steam, fraps, WMP, and a variety of other things running pretty much constantly... and I have no clue how to hack.[/citation]
Notice they never mention exactly what types or what specific programs were running? You have no way of knowing if maybe he has a few tracert or port scanning apps running, or if he was playing a few tracks on WMP. Honestly, I probably have a half dozen or so of each on various discs around my house. I've also got copies of several versions of the various VNC apps. I've even got a copy of NetBus, NetBuster (removes NetBus) and BackOrifice around here somewhere. It's possible he had software similar to these "apps" running....which would allow him to easily manage a botnet remotely.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
@.therabiddeer:

Then you are a threat from users who get attacked cause your computer can be hacked and used withuot you knowing it. Not all hackers are able to find and use such hardware. And for them to hack other hardware they'd need hardware probably not seen as much as your hardware.

Cause if all you need at times is an access point, whats it matter if you have a 10,000$ computer?

But for sack of excuse, my arguement should end your use of use of your computer for the sack of issues of relevence, despite any efforts of hacking or not. But hopefully it dont, yes?

But at least though to say, your computer doesnt have 750,000 things of interest, yes?

But to not have something of usefulness of your own self invites trouble. But maybe not trouble enough, but to say on your part trouble enough might just be. Who knows...I take you dont hack. Yes? Or Right??

So, so far despite anything you do, dont matter, for sack of arguement. Its a bd one, but whats wrong it in terms of issues? I dont know, hard saying or telling really, yes?

But rather hacking within its ownself should say anything different is anyones guess, yes? Complicated to a point of almost the idea of how anything could be said or told. I would say, but of what i say and is is probably two different things and at times i would hope so. But still speculative and subjective. Otherwise, why even the mention, yes? I don't know.

But whats it matter, yes? Hackers hack and systems are in use. But how access of some systems that are in use is subjective and perspective, yes? I would say at times for some reason. Until then the otherwise, Yes?

Still, i find regualr use of many things probably worse of then hcking sometimes, cause of the interest of it has regular use of something always in question, yes?

I don't know, this a ramble topic if it wasn't called one.

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
11796pcs 08/01/2011 11:29 PM
Wouldn't his IP adress be a private one that wouldn't be possible to track? (ex. 10.0.0.0, 172.16.0.0 or 192.168.0.0) I thought ISPs didn't have a certain IP adress for customers and instead used (I believe they're called) dynamic IP adresses. Any clarification anyone?

As a disclaimer, I wouldn't call myself an expert, but encrypting the data on a drive doesn't really have anything to with his IP address or internet traffic (however, encrypting data through something like a VPN is a different story).

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly, but from what I gather you're asking if using a VM would mask his IP address? It wouldn't, as the traffic ends up in the same place regardless. How computers communicate on a LAN (typically 192.168.0.X on a home setup) is different than what is used to communicate externally (a single IP address). Some ISPs use dynamic addresses, some use static, but they all keep logs which is why proxies, encryption, etc. are employed.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]5.5 is not high speed. The AVERAGE speed in the UK is 10.66Mbps (the US average is 11.36Mbps).On the topic of the article, he doesnt sound like a hacker at all from anything shown. Anybody that is remotely tech savvy has used what he has used, and if you are a multitasker you will have boatloads of programs open. I mean, I have 20 tabs, steam, fraps, WMP, and a variety of other things running pretty much constantly... and I have no clue how to hack.[/citation]

What does having a bunch of programs open at once have to do with hacking? All he needs is a few hacking tools... he doesn't need 20+ tabs in his browser or anything else really. I'd have to argue that the mark of a hacker would be an efficiently run computer with as few as possible apps running at once - only the essentials running. An overloaded computer filled with useless apps that run on startup and slow the system down is what I see every day from clueless customers who pay $75 every few months to have spyware removed.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
"There are no high-speed broadband connections, with the average speed of around 5.5 megabits per second.."
I am using 1mbps, therefore I have a slower slow connection?

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
vaughn2k 08/02/2011 12:31 PM
"There are no high-speed broadband connections, with the average speed of around 5.5 megabits per second.."
I am using 1mbps, therefore I have a slower slow connection?

Speaking technically, you don't have broadband at that speed. Broadband, at least in the US, as anything over 4 down / 1 up.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]What does having a bunch of programs open at once have to do with hacking? All he needs is a few hacking tools... he doesn't need 20+ tabs in his browser or anything else really. I'd have to argue that the mark of a hacker would be an efficiently run computer with as few as possible apps running at once - only the essentials running. An overloaded computer filled with useless apps that run on startup and slow the system down is what I see every day from clueless customers who pay $75 every few months to have spyware removed.[/citation]
I am saying that the ambiguity has no indication on what he is doing. Having a bunch of stuff running does not show you are a hacker... but to many laymans it scares them into thinking, "oh my, hes good with computers and has everything running!" When you talk about a hacker to a layman, they envision the crazy setup with 6 monitors in a dark room constantly typing away at a terminal or something... so when you say something like "40 programs running with 16 virtual computers" people might actually think hes hacking, even if he wasnt.

Also, just because he has 750k usernames/passwords doesnt mean he hacked at all.

PS: I am merely saying that nothing we are given in this article tells us anything.

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I don't understand how they are considered hackers or super skilled any one can use tor and irc to communicate with other to launch loic and ddos a website. Just search his hd for the 3 I mentioned and there you will have it..

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]I'm guessing you two live in either the US or Australia. In any other part of the developed world 5.5 Mbps probably wouldn't be considered "high-speed broadband".[/citation]
Perhaps the US, but here in Oz all new connections are 24mbps be default.

ioa94

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
I thought for a long time about how it would be possible to truly lock out one's computer, and I've concluded that you would actually need to encrypt files with an algorithm that only you knew. No kind of password could save you. If you put any kind of unreasonably long password on Windows, you could still access the hard drive with a Linux Live CD. And if you decided to put a password for powering-on via the motherboard, all you would need to do is reset the mobo or hook up the hard drive to another computer. You would seriously need to encrypt everything and make it not obvious how to decrypt it. I imagine the best way would be to have a flash drive with some kind of decryption algorithm, so that even if they caught your main setup, they would literally have no idea how to decrypt it unless they found out you had the flash drive...

Damn confusing...

G

"I thought for a long time about how it would be possible to truly lock out one's computer, and I've concluded that you would actually need to encrypt files with an algorithm that only you knew. No kind of password could save you. If you put any kind of unreasonably long password on Windows, you could still access the hard drive with a Linux Live CD. And if you decided to put a password for powering-on via the motherboard, all you would need to do is reset the mobo or hook up the hard drive to another computer. You would seriously need to encrypt everything and make it not obvious how to decrypt it. I imagine the best way would be to have a flash drive with some kind of decryption algorithm, so that even if they caught your main setup, they would literally have no idea how to decrypt it unless they found out you had the flash drive...

Damn confusing..."

or... use truecrypt software to encrypt the entire drive with a combination of the three available methods, and a password that's 60+ characters. By the time they decrypt it, if they do, the statute of limitations may expire lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS