Macbook Air resolution and spreadsheets, desktop space

Whatlogin

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014
Hi All,

I know this is a terrible common question, but I have specific use of laptop for work.

My company is on Macbooks, and I am gonna get Macbook Air too. However I can decide not too. I thought Mac will a nice adventure and everyone likes Macs. Why not. I start reading and what is not impressing is that Air has only 1440x900 resolution....less than my phone.

I am used to FHD screen and work a lot with large excel sheets and also with having split screen with two browsers or emails retyping/copying things, same with file browsing, or even watch youtube when working etc. (even on 13" it is great, I don't mind small txt) I need a space. When I have to use 1366x768 it is a nightmare and I feel upset. Especially with excel.

So, my question is - will my will I feel not enough air with Air laptop for work use? Additional screen is for out of question nor the Air retina (price).

Maybe I should go for some windows FHD or even QHD ultrabook for similar budget? Or maybe OSX is so good with productivity that I wont notice? Fonts are nicely scaleable? I don't know as I never used :/

Thanks in advance.
Regards!

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
I won't get into a Win/macOS discussion as everyone's use case is unique. I will suggest that you go and view the models of whichever devices you are considering in person if possible. More so if the screen is a major decision point. Truth be told the Air has a terrible screen, not only is it low resolution but it is a TN panel, so the viewing angle is downright awful, especially vertically. If the Macbook (retina) is outside your price range I would consider a Win10 ultrabook with a good full HD IPS screen. There are many that should be price competitive with the Air.

Whatlogin

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014
Thanks CelicaGT,

This was my conclusion so far :/
I will be able to play Air tomorrow a bit, but I am partially convinced to stay with Win for this time and Zenbook UX305/Lenovo 710S/Dell 5378.

Regards!