Macbook Air vs Samsung Series 9

tryhardertry

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Hi,

Macbook Air: http://store.apple.com/us_edu_22179/configure/MD231LL/A

Samsung Series 9: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NP900X...msung+esries+9

I'm trying to decide between these two laptops (Macbook Air vs Samsung Series 9, price not concern). I'm a college student, so I'll primarily be using word/excel/ppt, doing homework, streaming videos and movies, creating/listening to/editing music, and occasionally gaming.

I wish I could wait a few more months for all the Windows 8 touchscreen models to come out, but I simply can't; I need a notebook now, as my old one just died, and borrowing others' computers/using public desktops has been a huge hassle these past 2 weeks.

So, these two laptops seem to be pretty comparable (approximately the same price, similar build, etc). As far as OS goes, I'm fine with either, as I'm very well acquainted with both Mac and Windows.

Here are my personal pros and cons of each, excluding price (please comment or correct me if you feel any of my views are off):

Macbook Air

Pros:
-overall great computer; I've used it countless times and don't really have any gripes
-Thunderbolt port
-8GB memory option

Cons:
-been using my brother's (Mac Air) and my own (Mac Pro) for the past 2 years, so I'm a little sick of Mac; would be nice to switch to Windows for a change
-1440 x 900 resolution as opposed to 1600 x 900

Samsung Series 9
Pros:
-1600x900 resolution
-will be fun switching to Windows
-a tiny bit lighter, thinner than the Air

Cons:
-no 1080p
-trackpad is reported to have issues
-Air is reported to be faster?
-no option for upgrading to 8GB memory
-screen isn't as good?

Although there are more cons for the Samsung, I'm actually leaning towards it a little more simply because I like the idea of change. However, the Mac Air seems like a better computer overall; what are your thoughts? Thanks.

I would probably recommend the 14" ThinkPad X1 Carbon, but I don't think Lenovo will be releasing it before you go back to school. It should have a starting weight of 3lbs.

While not an ultrabook you might want to consider the 14" Think T430s. It's basically a complete laptop with a DVD drive and a 320GB HDD and weighs in at 3.9lbs. There are options for a 1600x900 resolution screen and a SDD instead of HDD. There's a $330 option for the nVidia NVS 5200m, but that's pretty expensive for a slight performance gain, besides it's geared more for business than games. It can support up to 16GB of RAM, but 16GB of RAM is a pretty expensive option.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=625170B995934B6EFED1F0FA956B4E9A

tryhardertry

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
^Thanks. Yeah, unfortunately, I'm trying to get a laptop now, not once school starts. Also, while I definitely think the T430s looks like a very good product, I'm really focusing on deciding between the Mac/Samsung I've chosen as I've already spent a long time narrowing it down to these two.

If you are getting sick of Macs then you might as well go for the Samsung even though it will be limited to 4GB of RAM. The 1600x900 resolution screen makes it a bit better for multitasking though.

Playing games on either one of those laptops will be limited by the Intel HD 4000. If you do play games then I recommend lowering the resolution to 1366x768 to get better performance.

I don't really like using a track pad, I prefer using a mouse. More comfortable and faster than using the track pad. However, it is a little less convenient since that's something additional to carry around. Besides if you are going to play games, then using the track pad is really inconvenient.

tryhardertry

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012

Thanks again. My apologies--actually, I really should take the gaming part out; I really don't do much gaming anymore due to work constraints, and my roommate (an avid gamer) has both an Alienware laptop and a solid gaming desktop that I can use really anytime I decide to game.

I'd go ahead and get the Samsung now, except 8GB RAM is still quite appealing to me. I guess I might take another look at that Lenovo...

vigoma2026

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hi, depends of your needs, I use Mac and Windows. the cons that Samsung have is the version of Windows 7 Home Premium; its sucks. If there the posibility to change it to Windows 7 Professional, its better and if Sanmsung sell it with these version coool, If you do it by yourself, there is the posibility to have problems with some drivers.

Well I have a netbook Acer Aspire One, it`s a toy, problems anywhere all the time, for example Heating!!!, That`s another problem that portables have, thing to think, no?, because its a pain to carry all the time a cooler pad.

Well another things to think: It`s hard drive size, Apple have the double capacity 256 GB solid flash card, Samsung 128 GB only; Apple have 2 USB version 3, Samsung 2 USB version 2; Apple Battery used life is for more than 5 hours, Samsung ????; Apple SD Card slot, Samsung just Micro SD; Apple can conect to HD Screen, Samsung does not.

Well I go for the Mac 13", If I were you, Its better for the normal (common) use, less viruses, spywares, malwares, troyna horses, defragmentation problems, etc.

I used both plataforms, with macs I don´t have antiviruses, in Windows I have 1 Antivirus program and one Antipest program to have all great (buying every year).

If you are looking for games, search another computer, look at the heating problems, for me Samsung its not than trustfull brand, maybe Sony, or HP.

But remember It´s the kind of work you are going to be using.

Bye

For most people the is no difference between Win 7 Home Premium and Win 7 Pro.

Here's a summarized list of the differences.

win7_pro_ultimate_features_rev2.jpg

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Out of curiosity, why did you not consider the Asus Zenbook Prime? It seems to fit all your needs. Someone was asking me for advice on alternatives to a Mac Book Air and the Zenbook was what I thought was the best option, so I am trying to find things to warn people about it.