Solved! Macbook Deal Too Good To Be True?

bradley_alv

Estimable
Sep 2, 2015
I found someone on instagram selling a bunch of apple products for "Buy one get one free" as the reasoning is because her friends dad works at an apple store, so he only pays manufacture price for it. Basically, two Macbook pros for $750. They are sort of instagram famous as they have 60.6k followers. They said i would have to meet up with her friend if i buy it. Should i take the risk, or is it too good to be true?

Solution
Maybe, but without real verification, it is just words. The ability to get verified at Apple seems better, but it still seems a little out of the ordinary. A real sale approved through Apple would be advertised by them and not left up to an employee to market on their own (or better yet, a friend's) instagram, and Apple is too strict of a company to let their employees do something like this on their own. What gives me real pause is that the person posting is not the seller. There are many examples of fraud like this taking place on craigslist, so it is wise to be weary. Again, see if you can verify the source through past buyer reviews at the very least. Bottom line, there is just too much that is fishy about this, so verify...

Albionm00n

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
Greetings!

Popularity does not ensure quality of an individual. Also, I would imagine there would be plenty of legal issues surrounding an Apple employee acting as a re-seller and the "Dad" is possibly stealing from the company, or this is a ruse to protect the actual source. Apple would get inquisitive if an employee was buying products too often, and especially if it is the same product in multiples. Usually these things are too good to be true, but with that said, there may be a chance that they are legitimate. I would see what else you can find out about these sellers.

I would be very wary of this deal to be honest....

Hope this helps!

bradley_alv

Estimable
Sep 2, 2015

The caption of the post is "Doing the buy one get one free until Friday only because it's requested by future buyers. Hmu if serious. You buy one and get something of equal or less value for free. Products come sealed and unlocked, never used. 2 years Apple care plus from January 20th 2017. They're from the Apple Store, can get verified on spot at the Apple Store if requested by buyer. ☺️ CANADA ONLY" does this change anything?

Albionm00n

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
Maybe, but without real verification, it is just words. The ability to get verified at Apple seems better, but it still seems a little out of the ordinary. A real sale approved through Apple would be advertised by them and not left up to an employee to market on their own (or better yet, a friend's) instagram, and Apple is too strict of a company to let their employees do something like this on their own. What gives me real pause is that the person posting is not the seller. There are many examples of fraud like this taking place on craigslist, so it is wise to be weary. Again, see if you can verify the source through past buyer reviews at the very least. Bottom line, there is just too much that is fishy about this, so verify verify verify before departing with your hard earned cash.

Solution

Deniedstingray

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
I would definitely say don't do it. The fact that it is two for 750 instead of one is just trying to make it look like a better deal. I would never trust an unestablished social media seller because there are so many ways they could lie to you and there are no reviews to back up their claims of being legit.

Abs504

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
I agree, this has to be too good to be true and I wouldn't risk it. I would be willing the bet the products are stolen either from the store or from people and they just want rid of them so they don't get caught. It's easy to get followers, you can pay $2.99 for like 5K-10K followers, so having that many followers doesn't mean anything really, plus just the offer can get them followers, even if it's a scam.

With that being said, if the transaction is being done at an official Apple store, then it could be legit, but it doesn't look to me like that's the case.

Techelle

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
I've never bought anything from an Instagram seller and probably never would. There is just too much risk and it's not an insignificant amount of money, even if it does seem like a saving.