Macbook pro 13 core i5 vs asus core i7

kowsar89

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
I'm a web designer, and sometimes i have to run more than 10 applications at a time including Adobe Photoshop and some other heavy applications. I'm currently using Dell core i5 (Inspiron n4110) but it's just not good enough, sometimes it hangs when i run multiple applications at a time. So what i need is, better performance and speed. I don't play games. OS preference isn't a issue for me,if OSX can give me better performance i can go with OSX. I don't care about display, audio, battery, resolution, disk-space etc, all i care about performance.

Here's my choices :

Macbook pro 13 core i5
2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Graphics

ASUS G550JK-4700HQ Core i7 4th Gen
Intel Core i7 4th Gen 4700HQ
2.40 GHz (3.40 GHz by Turbo Frequency) 6MB Cache
RAM: 8 GB
Graphic: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX850M with 4GB DDR3 VRAM
Storage: 1 TB SATA (i can replace it with SSD if i want)

I heard that OSX performance is better than windows. Again i know that i7 is better than i5. So i really can't decide, which way should i go, Mac i5 or Asus i7 ! Please Advice

Thanks in advance

Solution
Hey Kowsar89! This is really a tough choice, but it all comes down to preference.

I have a Macbook Pro 15" Retina at home and I love it (Designing, casual gaming, and etc). However, in this case, the ASUS is the better option since the internal specs are twice the performance of the Macbook.

This all really comes down to OS preference. The ASUS will be faster (If you include the SSD), but the performance in the Macbook won't better because of the OS.

Some people prefer (OSX, like me), however, the ASUS wins hands-down in pure performance. But if you like Macs, a Macbook Pro is the way to go.

Simple Explanation - ASUS (Twice as fast as the Macbook Pro), hands-down winner in the performance-department.
Hey Kowsar89! This is really a tough choice, but it all comes down to preference.

I have a Macbook Pro 15" Retina at home and I love it (Designing, casual gaming, and etc). However, in this case, the ASUS is the better option since the internal specs are twice the performance of the Macbook.

This all really comes down to OS preference. The ASUS will be faster (If you include the SSD), but the performance in the Macbook won't better because of the OS.

Some people prefer (OSX, like me), however, the ASUS wins hands-down in pure performance. But if you like Macs, a Macbook Pro is the way to go.

Simple Explanation - ASUS (Twice as fast as the Macbook Pro), hands-down winner in the performance-department.

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well OS doesn't really have a big affect on performance hardware is more of an affect. You say your old laptop has problems running things with multiple things open. Adding memory helps with multi-tasking. Also the spec of your 2 choices the Asus will get a hole lot better performance. As the Asus has both integrated graphics and discrete. The problem with integrated is back to the memory problem as integrated graphics shares system memory while discrete cards have their own memory and don't share with the system. You could add memory at a later date and a SSD to really increase performance.