macbook pro 2011 early 2.2gh overheat

Datuna

Estimable
Nov 25, 2015
hello i know its kinda old topic or something though my macs cpu temp is somewhere between 45c 55c while surfing net or watching videos but when im rendering staff it goes up 90c 98c temp is this normal ?

Solution
Yeah it's a physical limitation.

I've got the faster i7 cpu, and even playing 2.7K GoPro footage it ramps up to ~80c.
4K just kills it.

Part of the thermal design presses the heat sinks onto soft conductive pads which transfers the heat to the aluminium bottom. Can make working on your lap uncomfortable, but also means one of those cooling pads should be quite effective.

It's not a great design for heavy users, but it was a beautiful design, and unlike everything else, it doesn't vacuum up air from underneath and clog up with dust in 6 months.

Hawkshot

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014

the levels while surfing are normal but your temps while rendering are Very high the 98C is getting very close to a dangerous level of heat, my advice is to replace the Thermal paste yourself or get one of their techs to do it but that will cost you a fair bit as its apple.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I've got a MBP from around that era, and it's also hot.
Half the problem is an extremely quiet fan profile in OSX. Obviously designed for newer cooler machines.
I installed a fan speed controller, to get them spinning faster sooner. It still gets warm, but much better than before.
'Macs fan control' or something like that.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yeah it's a physical limitation.

I've got the faster i7 cpu, and even playing 2.7K GoPro footage it ramps up to ~80c.
4K just kills it.

Part of the thermal design presses the heat sinks onto soft conductive pads which transfers the heat to the aluminium bottom. Can make working on your lap uncomfortable, but also means one of those cooling pads should be quite effective.

It's not a great design for heavy users, but it was a beautiful design, and unlike everything else, it doesn't vacuum up air from underneath and clog up with dust in 6 months.

Solution